> On Mar 23, 2008, at 11:38 PM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I have read many, many old translations in English from the
> > > earliest ones and have never heard those words used. However
> > > there is a great variation in the translations for dhyana. I
> > > don't know if we actually have a previous translation of the
> > > phrase bhavatita-dhyana, but if we do, I doubt you'd see TM
> > > used as the trans.
> >
> > From the TMFree blog almost exactly a year ago:
> >
> > bhavatita could be seen as the path equivalent of the fruit,
> > turiyatita (cosmic consciousness, i.e. "CC"). Most translators
> > will translate turiyatita as "beyond turiya" or one could
> > say "transcending turiya". Similarly we could say "transcending
> > being" for bhavatita. So, literally, bhavatita-dhyana would be
> > translated as "beyond being meditation" or "transcending being
> > meditation" or simply "transcendental meditation"
> >
> > Here's what Monier-Williams gives for atIta:
> >
> > atIta mfn. gone by , past , passed away , dead ; one who has gone
> > through or got over or beyond , one who has passed by or neglected ;
> > negligent ; passed , left behind ; excessive ; m. N. of a
> > particular S3aiva sect ; (%{am}) n. the past.
> >
> > An example would be "buddhyatIta", which means "beyond the reach
> > of the understanding".
>
> Precisely. Notice how Monier-Williams doesn't even include the word
> transcendental in their definition.
>
> However, a quick look at Capeller's Skt.-Eng. DIctionary and he does
> include "transcending" as one definition.
>
> atIta
> a. gone away, passed, dead; going beyond, transcending, surpassing
> (---).

What I think is hilarious is that Judy has now
pissed away almost all of her posts for the week
"defending" this idea (that I personally think
she made up) that "transcendental meditation"
was a common term at the time Maharishi first
began using it. I'd certainly never heard it
before, and I was personally involved in the
efforts to protect the trademark, once gained.
None of the copyright lawyers I spoke to during
that time had ever heard of it being used before,
either.

It's just a WONDERFUL exercise in ego gone wild,
the intellectual counterpart of the Girls Gone
Wild videos. I doubt she can ever produce any
instance of this exact term being used before
Maharishi did it, so the *least* she could do
for us is to throw beads at the onlookers as
she dances.  :-)  :-)  :-)

On the other hand, within a few hours she'll be
out of our hair for the rest of the week, and
people will be able to post again without her
attempting to suck them into arguments.