<snip>
> All very nice, but in fact, the only place you find the
> Krishna consciousness founder mentioning "transcendental
> meditation" is to pooh pooh it

Didn't you read the excerpt I posted in which he says
chanting Hare Krishna is the appropriate kind of
transcendental meditation for this age, and even
paraphrases Arjuna using the term?

<snip>
> So, the only places you can find where "transendental
> meditation" is used in a context not obviously related
> to MMY's TM are in the context of someone denouncing
> its use, referring explicitly to a newspaper article
> about it in late November 1968 and in a website book
> copyright 2002.

(And in the excerpt I posted.)

In fact, it's the only place *I* could find *on the Web*
in a quick search. There were 822,000 hits on the string
+"transcendental meditation" -TM -Maharishi -Lynch, of
which I looked at only a couple hundred to find the two
examples I cited of the term being used in a non-TM
context.

It's not that likely, as I already pointed out, that one
would find pre-1968 uses of the term in a generic sense
on the Web in any case.

It isn't impossible that you're right that MMY invented
the term, and that the complaints I saw that he'd
appropriated a term that was being used generically
were bogus, but neither of us has been able to
document that definitively. Nor can I document the
complaints; I can't figure out what kind of search
string would turn them up if there actually were any
recorded on the Web.

But I did encounter them (most likely on alt.m.t,
because I hadn't seen much in the way of criticism
of TM of any kind before I joined that newsgroup),
and I'm surprised you never did.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some discussion
of it on TMFree, but I'm not going to try to plow
through all those posts and comments to find out.

(I did turn up in my Yahoo search Vaj's comment on
TMFree a year ago proposing "transcendental meditation"
as a reasonable translation of "bhavatita dhyana," when
he had just posted here that he thought such a
translation was unlikely.)