On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:02 PM, authfriend wrote:

In any case, her big early national lead was more a
function of name recognition than anything else, so
it's no surprise at all that she didn't hang onto it.

Yeah, that's right, Judy, her name recognition
just evaporated after her stunning--and
unexpected--loss in Iowa.   I could swear
 I remember thousands of people as
well as columnists and talk show hosts
scratching their heads the next day
 and saying, "Clinton...Clinton?!?
Now where the hell have I heard
that name before..."

And Reich hasn't been a "staunch supporter" of hers
for a long time.

Good for him for recognizing a train wreck before it
happened.

And, I'm proud to say, I believe Iowa played a major role in that. Once the myth of Hillary's "inevitability" was shot, which is basically the kiss of death to any kind of democratic process,) her chances seemed to evaporate almost overnight.

No, they didn't, not after she then went on to win
New Hampshire. It took a lot longer for her chances
to begin to "evaporate," and they're not gone yet
despite Obama's best efforts.

Which of course he shouldn't be making,
since everyone knows  that Hillary will
"be the nominee."

You've also forgotten that it wasn't a two-way race
in Iowa; Edwards came in second. He'd been a frequent
presence there for the past two years. And Obama had
a head start in getting his organization on the ground.

Right, thanks for reminding me of that, Judy.  He had a
head start here which was denied her.  She was forbidden
by law from campaigning here until she did, whenever
that was.

She's run a lousy campaign, Judy, and all the twisting and
turning in the universe won't change the fact that, as a test of
"executive" experience, she's blown it by a country mile. Iowa
was only one mistake that she *could* have seen
coming if she hadn't been so blindsided by the belief
in her own inevitability.  The Mark Penn fiasco was
another, and  Bill's loose-cannon comments are yet
a third. At least two of those situations were well within
her ability to manage and change.

She was never expected to have an easy time in Iowa,
so her loss there, while disappointing, wasn't some
huge upset.

Yep.  That's why she and Bill were frantically running around
the ballroom of the DM hotel they were staying in right before
the caucuses, trying to scare up whatever votes they could.

Sal