May 23rd, 2008
  Hillary Clinton Evokes Bobby Kennedy’s Assassination to Claim That  She
Should Stay In The Race  What a horrible comment. Is she truly sitting on the
sideline preparing for  the off chance that the presumptive nominee where to be
assassinated? Amazingly  callous and insensitive. She has leaped off the side
of what was already a  slippery slope…

How America is hearing Hillary

authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal
Sunshine
wrote:

> On May 24, 2008, at 2:44 PM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > Everyone doesn't necessarily remember the 1968 race
> > went to the convention, and that wasn't even her
> > point. Her point was that the primary was still in
> > full swing in June; RFK had just won the California
> > primary when he was shot. *That's* what people
> > remember, and that's why she used it as an example.
>
> But it's a false example, Judy:
>
> "For those last few hardcore Hillary supporters who say
> she's only making an historic reference to the Primaries
> going until June, keep this in mind:

That this example may not be perfect is entirely
irrelevant, obviously, to whether she meant to say
she was staying in the race because somebody might
assassinate Obama. Apples and kiwi fruit.

And it isn't just the "last few hardcore Hillary
supporters," BTW. There are plenty of sensible folks
who realize the whole thing is a total crock,
deranged hysteria from panicky Obama supporters.

What she was trying to get across is obvious in
context: that primaries have often extended until
June. Whether that's valid in the case of 1968
makes no difference to the issue of whether that's
what she was pointing out. She used that example
primarily because we all *remember* that primary
on account of RFK's assassination.

And many of us remember as well that the primary
struggle *continued* after his death right up to
the convention, where there was a gigantic floor
fight and riots in the streets.

Nobody had demanded that Gene McCarthy get out of
the race, even though Humphrey controlled enough
delegates to obtain the nomination.

No, it isn't a perfect parallel, but as I pointed
out elsewhere, each primary campaign is different
from the others in some respects and similar in
some respects.

The issue of whether she meant to indicate that she
was staying in the race in case somebody assassinated
Obama is a matter of common sense. It's utterly
absurd to think it's even remotely possible.

As Olbermann noted, even if she did drop out, if
Obama were then assassinated, she'd still almost
certainly be the Democratic candidate, given how
much support she has from Democratic voters. So
that wouldn't be a reason for her to stay in the
race in any case.

Plus which, you'd really have to believe she had
completely lost her mind to make that kind of
statement. And if you say, Well, she's so desperate
now she *has* lost her mind, then you still have to
explain why she's said it several times before,
when it looked like she had a decent chance to win.

As well, she's probably at as much as if not more
risk than Obama of being assassinated. And the
parallel to '68 would be of RFK to *her*, not of RFK
to Obama, since Obama is now the "establishment"
candidate who seems to have the nomination all sewed
up, just as Humphrey did.

Regardless of whether 1968 is a good example of a
primary campaign lasting until June, it MAKES NO
SENSE to think she was saying she's staying in
in case Obama is assassinated.

NO SENSE AT ALL. DERANGED. INSANE. IRRATIONAL.

  The 1968 New Hampshire primary was held on March 12,
> 1968, fully 3 months later than the 2008 primary which was held on
> January 8, 2008.  In 1992, the New Hampshire primary was on
February
> 18, a full month and a half later than 1968.  So the June argument
is
> a straw man.  Also, in 1968, on 13 states had primaries.  For
Hillary