On Jun 19, 2008, at 11:29 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

People believe in the ME because its such a fun
narrative (not theory) to talk about and the TMO keeps
on repeating that it is true. And Maharishi believed
it was true to, but he was wrong. And to contemplate
that MMY was incorrect or wrong is just nearly
incomprehensible to TBer's.

Very insightful, Peter, thanks. That's some-
thing that literally wouldn't have occurred
to me. It's been so long since I thought that
someone "couldn't be wrong" that it's foreign
to me, a way of thinking that just wouldn't
ever enter into my assessment of things.

An interesting and poignant example of this was recently, during the MMY funeral ceremonies IIRC, that Deepak Chopra pulled aside King Tony and told him about M's illnesses, diseases and treatment with allopathic medicine and Tony just would not (or could not) believe it. It just wouldn't register.

Reminds me of the experiment where they raised kittens in an environment with only horizontal lines in it. Later, on maturation, when they placed the same cats in a regular environment with say, vertical table legs and other vertically running objects, they run into them because they can't see them. Same thing with belief: if you condition yourself to believe certain things and habitually ignore other information, thing outside the beleif structure will no longer "register". The experiment with the cats proved that this actually ends up getting hard-wired into the nervous system.

Total obedience and subservience (like that demanded of some gurus), at the expense of independent thought and verification does have real, serious consequences.