On Jun 19, 2008, at 8:53 PM, new.morning wrote:

Maybe they should change their emphasis from "world effects" to the
simple fact that it's very supportive of a personal practice

That may be a good and practical step. But not at the expense of
global effects I would hope. A strong Field Effect should have a broad
effect-- no just a localized one. If studied properly, looking at
lagged effects, and properly controlling for the many exogenous
variables, I think an effect will be found. Its fundamental in the
experience -- IMO.

There currently is no salient theoretical basis for the effect. Unless it's changed the theory was that alpha coherence, a primitive measure to begin with, done, en masse, creates a field effect. But unfortunately this is just bad neuroscience, the same levels of "coherence" routinely occurs in most normal, healthy humans. Following that logic, we'd already be in Sat Yuga. The "effect" you're probably noticing is much more likely a combination of expectation effect and placebo effect IMO.

That's not to say that there is not potentially an effect from deep meditation. I'm sure once a person reaches the level of subjugation and pacification of negative emotions in their own mindstreams, there would be an effect. But you need a very deep meditation to do so, not just a relaxation effect.