On Jul 23, 2008, at 12:53 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

<snip>
That may be true.  I find it hard to believe that earlier cultures
were able to figure this out rather than just going with their
religious meanings in choosing sounds.  It seems like a difficult
thing to test.

It is completely knowable in those traditions, albeit not through
conventional, scientific and materialistic means. But more simply,
different devatas had different personalities and those are the
qualities that naturally develop with mantra use.

Outside religious faith, I really can't understand how someone could
be confident of such knowledge.

I think what makes samadhic knowledge so compelling is it's paradoxical, non-linear nature: before jnana or transcendental knowledge dawns, you have no clue as to what this even means, but one instance and as you come out of the state where it is revealed, you simply possess, literally, volumes of knowledge. Yet there was no conventional learning process involved. How could this be? I'm not talking about channelled bullshit here. I hate to say it, but until it's experienced, there's no way to convey how important such a thing is. I think probably the best example I can give that is publicly known is that of Srinivasa Ramanujan. Much of his incredible mathematical knowledge came from samadhic states. To this very day it boggles mathematicians. Not conventional by any means, but there it is.

Another example would be the abilities of Yogi Karveji, who can cognize ones exact birth time by merely placing his attention on the person.

(Incidentally, Ramanujan's combinatorics problem was recently solved Link)

  I get the compelling nature of
subjective experiences, just not why a modern person wouldn't take
them with a grain of salt.

I think an experienced yogi would take trance states with a very skeptical grain of salt, because s/he understan s the difference between mere trance states and the collapse of the observer-observed dichotomy.

I think it is possible to experience gods
that have qualities of the Hindu Gods, I just don't think that means
they actually exist outside our mind's conception.

Exactly my point, you don't even have to accept any independently existing realty such as a god, but instead they could be appreciated as archetypes of a certain type, which have corresponding brain states.

  You take is
especially interesting because I know you are aware of the nature of
hypnotic states and what an unreliable source of knowledge they provide.

Yes, false memory syndrome is well known, but I also understand that there are other states beyond mere trance states. I would not assume, for example, even if I spent many years practicing a trance-style technique, that that's all there is to meditative states.

More offlist later. Gotta run.