> On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:26 AM, curtisdeltablues wrote:
>
> > <snip>

> > no
> > and
> >
> > That may be true.  I find it hard to believe that earlier cultures
> > were able to figure this out rather than just going with their
> > religious meanings in choosing sounds.  It seems like a difficult
> > thing to test.
>
> It is completely knowable in those traditions, albeit not through
> conventional, scientific and materialistic means. But more simply,
> different devatas had different personalities and those are the
> qualities that naturally develop with mantra use.
>

> >  That's why I like Swami
> >
> > I checked out his place in Honesdale Pa but never met him.  I was
very
> > afraid of meeting guys like him when I was in TM.  I thought they
> > would put the "wammy" on me!  I also thought that I was a special
and
> > desirable human that other masters would want to steal from
Maharishi!
> >  Teachers had told me that other masters valued us and would be
after
> > us.  More "prison of specialness."
>
> Wow, if you're not making that up, that pretty scary Curtis! I've
> found quite the opposite to be true: TMers are viewed as naive at
best.

> My approach was quite different: it was clear that the TMO wasn't
> being up front, forthcoming and (frankly), honest. So I went where I
> could find all the answers and then some. Sw. Rama's center was an
> important one--esp. since he was a student of Guru Dev's and he was
> able to actually replicate samadhi in his students.
>
> It was utterly refreshing to get the whole story and not some cosmic
> rug salesman's hypnotic spiel. That's not to say that Sw. Rama didn't
> have his dark side, he had a real creepazoid side as well.

I went to Honesdale, with an audiotape of Guru Dev (before Paul
translations) to see
about the  possibility of translation. Walked into the bookstore and
asked if Swami Rama
was there. As if on cue he walked in, in a maroon bathrobe (in the steam
room?) and
shook my hand.
(This kicked up some kundalini in both my friend  and I ....lots of heat
and a red forehead).
I told him that I was a teacher of TM and asked about the tape... we
walked down the hall
talking and he suggested leaving the tape with him. I said 'yes' but
thought 'no' and he suggested another time....  That  was the end of the
conversation .   A few  years  later  all the
stuff about the Swami and the wives of his closest students came out. I
was impressed by his perceptiveness and the shaktipat. He spoke well of
TM, as well.

JohnY