On Jul 23, 2008, at 9:49 AM, sparaig wrote:

On Jul 22, 2008, at 4:51 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

So you deny all connection to this Saraswati bija idea then? ;-)

Is Saraswati married to Santa Clause?

No, just certain TMers.

For those who find belief in gods and goddesses untenable, there's no
real need to cling to such stories. In terms of modern psychology and
neuroscience it would be easier to say that certain sounds have
certain effects on the brain, which have the potential, over time, to
awaken certain propensities in the brain and then for those changes
to be integrated into the human personality. That's why I like Swami
Rama's approach: it was practical and honest, without a need for
magical thinking.

And rife with the potential for suggestion and placebo effects.

I prefer honesty (Swami Rama approach) rather than being lied to (the "meaningless sound" canard).

MMY's approach is more Zen-like. Which is why some Zen monks in Japan
are apparently dabbling in TM these days.

I see no similarity to zen approaches and MMY's approach. But you can fool some of the people, some of the time.