<snip>

> > For those who find belief in gods and goddesses untenable, there's
no
> > real need to cling to such stories. In terms of modern psychology
and
> > neuroscience it would be easier to say that certain sounds have
> > certain effects on the brain, which have the potential, over time,
> > awaken certain propensities in the brain and then for those changes
> > to be integrated into the human personality.

That may be true.  I find it hard to believe that earlier cultures
were able to figure this out rather than just going with their
religious meanings in choosing sounds.  It seems like a difficult
thing to test.

 That's why I like Swami
> > Rama's approach: it was practical and honest, without a need for
> > magical thinking.

I checked out his place in Honesdale Pa but never met him.  I was very
afraid of meeting guys like him when I was in TM.  I thought they
would put the "wammy" on me!  I also thought that I was a special and
desirable human that other masters would want to steal from Maharishi!
 Teachers had told me that other masters valued us and would be after
us.  More "prison of specialness."

> And rife with the potential for suggestion and placebo effects.

I didn't notice any difference in my meditation once I knew the
meaning of my mantra.  I'm not sure this is necessarily true.
Otherwise you are saying that everyone who learns in India from a
Hindu background would be "rife" with whatever.

> MMY's approach is more Zen-like. Which is why some Zen monks in
Japan> are apparently dabbling in TM these days.

I don't know what aspect you are comparing here, they seem pretty
different to me.