> on 6/20/05 10:05 AM, Llundrub at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Yes, just OM!
> >

> So I wonder whether meditating on OM by itself might make one a
recluse
> while meditating with a longer mantra that contains OM might not,
as my
> friend suggested in the comment I posted here yesterday.

**************

Well, that's exactly what Guru Dev said, according to the info in
Paul Mason's book:

"Mantras [sometimes] contain a mixture [of
sounds including] aum that are given for
auspicious purposes. Another thing is this
that women are prohibited from practising
japa with a aumkara-yukta mantra (a mantra
conjoined with aum). Wherever at the
beginning there is the purushha [male]
mantra 'aum' then instead women should apply
the sound 'shree' . "
http://www.paulmason.info/guruĀ­dev/gurudev.htm#lifestory

But there must have been some problem even with males doing mantras
containing OM (which were in some of the Age of Enlightenment
techniques), since the A of E techniques were only taught for a short
time, and presumably only to males. For both males and females,
advanced TM techniques use "shri," not OM.
http://minet.org/mantras.html

lengthier quote from Mason's book:

Repetition of the aum mantra

-Many people have not done the work of
consulting the Shastras in order to
determine what is authorised and what is
not, they look here and there and from this
they understand what they should do to
engage in worship. Some people set great
measure by the magnificence of the japa of
aum. In Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavan certainly
said that I am the pranava. But if the
purpose is to attain Bhagavan's special
form, then why not use the method of
grasping the lion as well, since he is also
that too? Bhagavan Shri Krishna Chandra said
that:-

"mR^igaanaaM mR^igendro.ahaM" [Gita ch10 v30]

(Amongst beasts I am the lion).

What actually happens to those who proclaim
the greatness of using only aumkara ka japa,
our experience up until recently we are
informing, listen; 2, 4, 10, 20 times
constantly repeating aum then no particular
effect there will be.

But if 2, 4 thousand unceasing repetitions
then in a short time [the connection with]
the worldly surrounding will become weak.
Arsenic is a destroyer, but taking a little
then the effects will not be very rapid. If
some excessive dose is taken then it
actually kills. Those who use the method
alone of aumkara ka japa taking it to be the
special form find that their worldly
discipline certainly weakens; working and
regular meals go into decline; wife and son
etc become unhealthy and also die.

Five, six years ago, we had gone to Lucknow
for the occasion of Laksha Chandi Yagya. On
that occasion one old woman came to us and
2, 4 people came along also. These people
did say that Mataji was a great devotee, all
day long she would remain in prayer and
worship, but only very recently her two sons
who were in the prime of life had died.

To this we asked; "Were you practicing
aumkara ka japa?"

She answered to Maharaj! The very same is
our portion, all day long I did do japa.

We said that; well done that for your
samsara (worldly life) you have dropped
(aum) japa, at this moment do not renounce
[the world].

However, by adherence to the practise
something very excellent she will destroy,
right here is the effect of aumkara ke japa.

This then is done somewhere without love and
if love's work is being done then the
meaning and the object of love will be be
annihilated by the influence of aumkara ka japa.

For this [reason] grihasthom (householders)
are not authorised to do aumkara ke japa
alone. Shastra with a view to grant good
fortune do not give authority. If there was
any benefit to be derived by grihasthom by
using aumkara japa there would be no reason
for the shastra to prohibit.

Mantras [sometimes] contain a mixture [of
sounds including] aum that are given for
auspicious purposes. Another thing is this
that women are prohibited from practising
japa with a aumkara-yukta mantra (a mantra
conjoined with aum). Wherever at the
beginning there is the purushha [male]
mantra 'aum' then instead women should apply
the sound 'shree' .

Bhagavan Shankar [Lord Shiva] giving
instruction to Parvati on japa explained
that for women aumkara-sahita mantra ka japa
[aum connected mantra] can be like poison
and for happiness they should only do japa
without aumkara. Due consideration should be
given that Shankarji gave this information
to his own wife. If aumkara is beneficial
for a woman to do, why would he instruct his
own wife against the practise?

['Shri Shankaracharya UpadeshAmrita' kaNa 73
of 108 ]