I have followed with some interest the career of rocket scientist John
"Jack" Parsons and Hubbard. In fact Parsons just had a new biography
published.

Hubbard and Parsons worked together on a ritual called the Babalon
working which was a rite to incarnate "Babalon", essentially a form of
Kali, in human form. The idea was that this would be Parson's spiritual
mate who could help him manifest anything, including complete
enlightenment. Well something backfired. As the ritual working came to
climax, Parson ended up killing himself in an explosion at Cal Tech and
Hubbard got the manifested form of Babalon as his wife. Shortly
thereafter Hubbard begins his rise to power.

This is all very Gnostic. In fact if one looks closely at Hubbards
system, it clearly has parallels to the Neoplatonic idea of the *idios
daemon*--the personal "Daemon" (not to be confused with *demon*). The
same practice is what became the ideal of the "Holy Guardian Angel".
Its primary practice is that of "Knowledge and Conversation with the
Holy Guardian Angel". Correct completion of this path often manifests
as an elaborate system of attaining various ends, mundane and
spiritual, not unlike what Scientology has become in our modern
scientific era. The parallels between Scientology and Knowledge and
Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel are undeniable in my opinion,
there are just too many examples in that system for it to be otherwise.
Given both Parson's and Hubbard's interests, one only has to look as
far as the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn for a source of these
ideas. Unfortunately it seems the purity of that system of attainment
seems to have been obscured in Scientology as is often the case in any
institution or hierarchical system.

In any event, its interesting to see how a western tradition of
enlightenment can manifest in a scientific era.