--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mainstream20016"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A friend is having very good experiences as a brand
> new TM meditator.  I think I recall from an SCI Course
> tape that a new meditator will remain regular in his
> TM practise if the new meditator is inspired by, and
> incorporates,  a vision of his future established in
> higher states of consciousness.
> What would you suggest to a new meditator that might
> mitigate the tendency of new meditators to abandon the
> practice ?

It's probably best to stick with the "standards,"
the things that have worked in the past.

Residence courses, for example. Get your friend
to a weekend or week-long residence course, where
he will be told that he cannot leave the facility
during the course or Bad Things might happen to
him, and during which every moment of his life is
carefully planned for him. The discipline of being
subject to being thrown off the course at any
moment for missing a meeting -- in which you are
to sit quietly staring raptly into a TV monitor
while indoctrination tapes are played -- will add
an element of regimentation and by-rote training
to his TM practice. Also, the discussions of these
tapes will add to his understanding of how to
approach the ideas that support the practice --
you are to listen quietly and appreciatively to
the explanations given to you by Those Who Know
More Than You Do, and never question anything that
is said. The stern looks given to anyone who does
not will reinforce the "proper attitude," and the
regimentation of the course itself, with its care-
fully-calculated atmosphere of fear of being thrown
off the course at any moment for some unidentified
infraction, will cultivate the proper motivation
to continue the TM practice.

More seriously, think about what you are saying.
If you feel that the TM practice does not, in itself,
provide enough benefits to the new practitioner that
they will want to continue it on their own *without*
reinforcement of some kind, how good is it?

On my last trip back through Hartford, Connecticut
some time ago, I ran into by chance several people
who had attended the free meditation classes I once
taught there for Rama. That was 10 years previously.
Three of these people had attended only one session,
in which they were taught to meditate -- by me, not
by someone with a shitload of darshan or tradition
going for them -- for free, and then never came
back for any followup sessions. The last two actually
liked the meetings, and kept coming back for several
weeks, even though it was the same intro material
and free meditation training every week. All five
claimed to still be practicing what we taught them.

Go figure, eh? Seems to me that if the "best," most
effective technique of meditation on the planet (that
IS how it's billed, right?) needs some kind of crutch
to make it "stick," it's already limping.