This might be an interesting topic, because many
of the recent posts seem to want very much to
change other people's beliefs.

Basically, when it comes to my beliefs about
meditation and other spiritual subjects, I've
watched those beliefs change and evolve over the
years, and there seems to be a pattern to when
they change and when they don't.

Before I started TM, I probably believed that it
was impossible for thought to stop. There had
really never been a time, other than deep sleep,
when my thoughts *did* stop. Therefore believing
that they couldn't stop while awake made sense.
Then came TM, and I found that thoughts indeed
stopped, first for short periods of time, and
then for longer and longer periods of time.

And then an intellectual model was supplied to
me for *how* they stopped. It was all because of
the effortless, donchaknow. And that same intel-
lectual model went further and said that effort-
lessness was the ONLY way that thoughts could
stop and transcendence occur. And, since the only
thing I knew in terms of meditation was TM, I
bought that one hook, line, and sinker, and
believed it.

And then I learned other forms of meditation,
forms that were based on concentration. And what
I found was that *contrary* to the TM dogma,
thoughts stopped not only as often as they did
in TM, they tended to stop more often, and for
longer periods of time.

So my belief about the nature of meditation changed,
because my *experience* had changed. I could no
longer pretend that the TM model was true, and had
to find a more comprehensive model, one that had
no problem with transcendence occurring as the
result of *both* effort and effortlessness.

But would my belief ever have changed if my exper-
ience hadn't? To this day we see people here who
have never experienced any other form of meditation
than TM, and who will swear on a stack of bibles
that the ONLY way to transcend is via effortlessness.
That belief of theirs will probably *never* change,
because their "experience pool" has never broadened
and never will.

I would suggest that a similar thing might be rele-
vant to belief in reincarnation. For those who have
no personal memories of past lives or of the Bardo
between death and rebirth, belief in reincarnation
is a Purely Intellectual Belief. It's just a theory.
They may have an intuitive feel for the "correctness"
or the "incorrectness" of the theory, but they don't
have any *experience* with which to validate their
belief or disbelief.

I do. That experience may be, as Curtis and Stu have
suggested, illusory. But it's *my* experience. Others
can only speculate about it and come up with theories
to either support my belief or theories to try to
shoot down the belief and pooh-pooh it.

But for me, a belief in reincarnation makes the most
sense to me because it "covers the bases" of my many
personal experiences over the years better than any
other theory. None of the other "rational explanations"
presented here, or that I have read elsewhere, deal with
all of the things I have experienced as well and in as
Occam's Razor a manner as reincarnation does. So until
they do, I see no real need to change my belief that
reincarnation might just be a real phenomenon.

It's not as if this belief *affects* much in my life.
I don't change anything I do or anything I don't do
based on believing in reincarnation. And I don't even
care much if it winds up not being true when I die. As
I've said many times now, if that happens, I won't be
there any more to be disappointed.

I guess all I'm saying is that the fundamentalists who
declare that only their theory is correct may simply not
have had the breadth of experience that the people they
consider fools have had. If I had not had the kinds of
experiences I've had, a belief in reincarnation might
be for me a Purely Intellectual Belief, the way it
appears to be for them. But that's not the case.
Reincarnation makes sense to me because it is
consistent with experiences that long predated
ever hearing about it as a theory.