--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...> wrote:

> I find your explanation of "dodging questions" to promote the innocent
> and effortless experience very interesting.  I think there is
> something to that.   I think that the initiation process puts people
> in a relaxed and suggestible frame of mind.  The checking process is
> the same.  Being in that state of mind may make it more likely that TM
> will be perceived as relaxing and effortless.

Found an interesting tidbit to add to my post:

"Walrath and Hamilton (1975) reported that there is some indication
that TM is related to hypnotic susceptibility.  In their study,
although only 44% of the non-TM volunteer subjects were rated as
highly susceptible, with scores of 10 or higher on the Stanford
Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, 100% of the TM practitioners received
scores of 11 or 12 on the Stanford Scale.  Walrath and Hamilton
concluded that either the practice of TM increases susceptibility to
hypnosis or only highly susceptible subjects find sufficient
reinforcement in the technique to continue its practice.  Using the
Harvard Group Scale of Hypnotic Susceptibility and the Field Depth of
Hypnosis Inventory to test hypnosis, Van Nuys (1973) also found that
hypnotic susceptibility correlated with subjects' initial skill at
meditating."

>From chapter 3, the Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation,
by Murphy and Donovan.  I haven't read the underlying work.

My theory is that there are qualities that certain people have that
make them more likely to find meditation rewarding.