On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:55 PM, TurquoiseB wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

Supposedly some translations engines use Sanskrit as an
intermediate language because it is unambiguous. The program
will take text in a language and translate it to Sanskrit and
then from Sanskrit to the target language.

I´m sorry, but this sounds like bullshit to me.

I know very little about Sanskrit, but everything
I ever heard talked specifically *about* its
ambiguity.

If you get a chance, check out the current PBS series "the story of India". A nice little section on the Sanskrit language in the first episode. The amazing part is the word roots and how they give rise to later European (Greek, Latin and Eastern European) words. They also explain, in terms of the initial migrations of peoples out of Africa, how and why this is the case. In a very real way, they make an argument for an actual "mother India" and mother of western culture and language. They also document the first westerners who encountered Sanskrit--and of course back then a "classical education include ones native tongue along with both Greek and Latin language--whom this connection dawned on.

A lot of this early civilization occurred in what is now Pakistan. It's also the same area associated with the Buddhist Shambhala and Oddiyana.