> > If only black mothers gave as much consideration to how they will
rear a child they've just spawned as they give to coming up with a
unique name for the child. -- L.Shad

Erp, yep, a racist remark for sure.

I was about 75 posts behind this morning when I replied to L.Shad's
post -- and in subsequent posts, I see that L.Shad's been confronted
soundly, and my reply was cutting L.Shad a break that was undeserved.

Or, was it?  Perhaps at least some compassion for L.Shad is valid.

The history of racism in this country is living in the nervous systems
of African Americans, and it's all front burner stuff for them, and
who could expect anything else from a culture that has been raised by
whip and noose?

I remember the first time I showed my anti-Semite attitude to my
friends Barry and Jane Pitt by using the word "Jew" with an ever so
slight "tone."  They picked up on it immediately, and my re-education
was begun.  Any downtrodden group has exquisitely tuned senses
regarding besmirchments.

And I had a looooong way to go, decades even, and yet, even a couple
years ago, still, I was getting lessons about my childhood-programming
about Jews.  I'm betting I still have a way to go.  David Matt was my
most recent instructor when I tried to discuss the anti-Semitic
concept that "Jews have a special resonance with money."  Even though
I was certain that this was not true and was trying to prove it
untrue, my words and tones still couldn't pass muster with David, and
he was right.

It takes a village to raise a child, and David was but one person
trying to undo my childhood's inputs from propagandists. My spirit is
willing but my meat's programming is deep and resilient; and without a
strong vigilance on my part, these patterns can emerge and try to
commandeer my attention.  Sounds psychotic to say it like that, but
deep prejudices are as if instant insanity patterns that can be
toggled by outer challenges, and when emotions arise, it can seem that
one is a stranger to oneself.

In the movie Silver Streak, we see Patrick Mcgoohan being harassed by
Richard Pryor, and Patrick is this picture perfect gentleman except
for his demeaning tone of voice, but finally he let's loose and calls
Richard the N-word.  That to me is how most whites are operating --
they want to wear the mask of civility, but under duress, out comes
the deeper and largely uncontrollable racisms of every sort.

Yet, in American schools today, no teacher is empowered to actively
confront racism on a personality level.  No teacher feels empowered to
take a kid and strip off that mask and reveal the hate that has been
pumped into that kid by his parents.  Yet that's what it would take --
a massive elementary school effort to confront the racism in a bud
that's about to bloom in the kids.

L.Shad is a reminder to any of us that if there is even the slightest
racism in us, it is glaringly obvious to the abused.

Just so, incidentally, must African American kids (some at least)
overcome their anti-cracker memes.

I loved my parents all their lives despite knowing how racist they
were and how much in denial they remained even after my many attempts
to confront their views.  It's not easy to condemn L.Shad if one sees
how deeply a person can be blind and be as if a victim of childhood
abuse.

My heart goes out to L.Shad, because, hey, anyone here want to
volunteer to have that personality?  Would anyone here want to battle
their own psyche to escape from that cage?

Well, we are all in cages, eh?

L.Shad, I cannot toss a stone at you, but go and sin no more.

Edg