--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, I am the eternal <l.shad...@...>

<no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> > "spawning?" -- racist remark or insensitive gaff?
> >
> > Edg
> >

> Frankly, I don't know which.  My reaction to a 15 year old girl having a
> baby which won't have a father to care for it or support it because she
> feels unloved and wants for a time to have her moments of love and
> respect.   I don't know if it's racist or an area of crushed empathy and
> concern when I look at whites around me and see the parenting
classes both
> parents take, the debate over having the umbilical cord frozen or
not, the
> frenzy to do everything right with the future child then speak with
pregnant
> 15 year old black girls who have no idea who they are, where they
are going,
> where the father is now and what they'll do with the child once they
give
> birth to it.  And yes, I speak to such girls on a regular basis.  I also
> speak with their "old man" despite the endless stream of racial epithets
> he's slinging at me.
>
> Definitely grave concern (tears are flowing down the front of my
face as I
> type this) that I am looking at the cycle of defeat, of a subset of
society
> where a fifth or more of its young adult males are convicted felons
with all
> the discrimination /that/ brings, of a subset of society where the
values
> and attitudes are almost perfect in perpetuating yet more "I told
you so"
> from both the whites and blacks failure.
>
> Definitely grave concern and a feeling of defeat that an attorney
who works
> for criminals should speak as a starry eyed optimist of the way the
world
> should be and sees my statements as racist.  God damn.  Why doesn't
he come
> join me down at the homeless shelter in his spare time and sing from The
> Sound of Music to our clients there?
>
> Give us a couple generations before I see enough parity between the
races so
> I can tell whether I'm racist or not.  Right now I'm just sad and angry.
> And people are hurting.  Many of them.  Big time.

I volunteer occasionally at a shelter for runaway teens, doing med
checks and the like. The shelter is located in a part of the country
which is primarily white.  The teens at the shelter are almost all
white.  They have their issues.  For example, having babies when they
should not, so that someone can love them. Many of the teens are quite
unlikeable as they lie and steal to get along. Girls shoplift and sell
sex and boys steal and sell drugs.  Drugs and mental illness are a
problem.  I think your experience with the particular shelter may be
leading you to generalize what may be due to other problems such as
abuse, poor education, poor upbringing, poor health, lack of money and
opportunity,  etc. into a race issue.