--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

<snip>
> This computer doesn't multi-task well. Apps often bog
> each other down, such that everything runs slowly. MS
> Outlook is one of the biggest culprits. It takes an
> unbelievably long time to check email, it's hard to
> use Outlook while it's being checked, and other
> applications are compromised during the process.

Nothing geekish to contribute, but I've read a
couple of ecstatic reviews of GMail's new offline
feature, e.g.:

Slate's Farhad Manjoo, "How GMail Destroyed Outlook":

http://www.slate.com/id/2210090/

James Fallows's blog (not really a review,
but an expression of excitement at the
prospect):

http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/01/big_news_on_the_p
ersonal_tech.php

http://tinyurl.com/detbyw

A followup post quoting an email from someone
who just started using it:

http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/01/offline_gmail_ins
tant_user_rep.php

http://tinyurl.com/awywz7

FWIW, I use Eudora, and gobs of archived mail
doesn't seem to slow it down as long as it's
stored in folders rather than the Inbox or
Outbox. I don't put anywhere near the demands
on my machine that you do on yours, but I've
seen that complaint about Outlook from all
kinds of users.

(But if you don't travel enough to require a
good Web email account, I can't quite figure out
what the advantage is of offline GMail over a
speedy desktop email client like Eudora.)