On Feb 2, 2009, at 8:26 PM, enlightened_dawn11 wrote:

there are many ways of gaining enlightenment. first off, it is not
an either/or proposition-- i see the process of gaining
enlightenment initially like a lightbulb that flashes on, and then
off, with no regular interval to its timing. an experience of
enlightenment, then darkness for awile, then another flash, then
darkness.

eventually the light stays on, and perhaps someone feels confident
enough to say, "hey everyone, i am enlightened!" and they begin the
process of watching the lightbulb to see how far the light is
shining out, and when it appears obscured, and what the public
proclamation and challenge does to their ability to integrate the
inner light into their outer life.

and perhaps the light appears to go out again. a learning process
which takes time; more integration in daily life. and after some
more time, the lightbulb stays on, for good, under all
circumstances, and then they have a choice to say, or not to say, "i
am enlightened", depending on what they feel like doing; hold
themselves up as an example of enlightenment, or quietly allowing
the bulb to burn bright within.

so to make the assumption that because someone proclaims their
enlightenment, that they will suffer a downfall, and have to start
again from the beginning, is a false assumption.

we as human beings learn by doing, and testing and challenging, and
if we are true to ourselves and our desire for gaining
enlightenment, we will eventually be successful, regardless of what
we may proclaim along the way.

Does this happen before or after the magical elevator ride?