Fairfield Lifer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Fairfield Lifer wrote:

>> http://rawstory.com/news/2008/California_goes_broke_halts_3.5_billion_0202.html
>>

>>> Come now.  This is Obama's watch.  It's the Democratic Great Depression.
>>> We've named problems after the current administration before.
>>>
>> LOL!  Nope all the result of 30 years of Reaganomics.  Obama has nothing
>> to do with it.  I don't recall that the Great Depression of the 1930's
>> was named The Democratic Great Depression.  It too had to do with bad
>> Republican policies.  Trickle down just made us all peons.
>>

> A foreigner pegged it really well on Slashdot.org in a discussion on H1Bs.
> Year after year the US kept preaching free trade.  Year after year it was a
> race to the bottom. Give up protection of your economy in favor of the free
> flow of commerce.  Each step along the way a new country became poorer.
> Finally it's the US's turn to visit the bottom.
>
> It was so gradual in the US that people just didn't seem to notice. Both
> parents had to work to keep the household afloat where before they didn't.
> Actually, it was packaged masterfully.  Packaged in terms of womens rights
> and feminism.  It wasn't that women /had/  to work, though really they did,
> it was that they had to be fulfilled as women and have the same rights as
> men.  And men worked.
>
> Now comes the flood of posts proclaiming that the US should not be richer
> than other nations. If there are poor subsistence farmers in India or Africa
> then the US should not expect to have the economy it used to have. Share the
> poverty.  Except of course of the monied class.  Predictable as Spring rain.
The US is 7% of the worlds population and yet consumed 25% of the it's
resources.  The bill had to become due sometime.   But we lived high on
the hog, bought gas guzzling cars and monster homes "because we could"
when people should have bought within their means.  We may just wind up
living in a simpler world somewhat resembling the 1970s but with some of
the technology we've created in the meantimes.  Yup, free trade simply
meant the rich pillaging and plundering so they could still be kings of
the hill.  Bastards.