I don't know of any medical marijuana vending machines, Edg.  I think
someone was pulling your leg.  But most people I talk to who smoke the
stuff are getting medical marijuana.   However California is often at
odds with the Feds over the medical marijuana stuff.  Plus we don't get
back as much Federal money as we should from our taxes.  So maybe the
solution is that California, being the 8th largest economy in the world,
should just become another country.

As far as the state being broke the problem is that the Dems want to
raise taxes, on the rich, and the Republicans oppose that.  That's why
no budget has been passed.  And we have $40 billion prison budget that
could be slashed by letting off people in there for petty crimes like
pot possession.  Seems the state's Prison Industrial Complex is as much
of a problem as the Military Industrial Complex.