On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> Fluffy stuff bad.

One of the things I miss most from the East Coast (US) is rye bread.
I loved going into the bakeries as a kid, had a choice of a dozen
different kinds of ryes and whole breads.  Picked on out, asked for it
to be sliced.  About the only thing that was white an fluffy as this
magical bread served Easter time called babka.  Babka looks a lot like
challa only it's even more filled with egg yokes.  Citron, white and
dark raisins, an egg glaze on top and perhaps some sugar water that
baked to become a bit of an icing, running here and there.

Texas gets its bread tradition from the Czechs, the people who in
West, Texas make 30 different varieties of kolaches, all baked into
fluffy, gooey white bread.  It's pretty disheartening to go to a manly
Texas barbeque place and have the bread be the Texas tradition of
Wonder bread.  Why Wonder bread?  Well, it was the poor people who ate
the rye breads.  The richer people got to eat things made out of white
flour.  So to show our wealth, we make everything out of white flour.

There's a similar thing running through Tex-Mex.  The traditional
Mexican bread is of course corn tortillas.  Flour tortillas, made with
lard and white flour, are considerably more expensive.  So of course
Mexicans showed their wealth by eating flour tortillas.  So now we
have this massive weight problem amongst Mexicans who have settled in
Texas which will probably soon be reported as metabolic syndrome and
diabetes.  When it comes to eating healthy, better to be poorer than
richer.