--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> > "Then one day she poured gasoline on herself and lit herself
> > on fire."
>
> I knew this woman personally.
>
> She did set fire to herself, but the community came to her support
> and she ended up being a VERY active member in terms of being at
> pot lucks etc.  She wore clothing to cover her massive scarring.
> I believe the incident was from a one-time romantic calamity --
> mere speculation on my part at this late date -- fuzzy memory
> here.  Yes, I'm sure many TBers handled it by way of philosophy,
> but all the talk I encountered about her was a fairly compas-
> sionate view.

I am pleased to hear it. The account I read
on the discussion group was not always so
compassionate, as I remember. What I *do*
remember is hearing the story as an outsider,
someone who has never lived in Fairfield, and
then about halfway through the resulting
threads putting the name together with some-
one I had known briefly in college and having
the impact of that hit me.

The person I knew in college was one of the
liveliest, most generous and outgoing and
comfortable-with-herself people I'd ever met
at that young stage of my life. And when I
did put two and two together and put a face
to the name, my first thought then -- and my
continuing thought to this day -- was, "WTF
*happened*?" I have no answer to that
question.

<snip>
> I've seen or heard about a few "mental cases in FF," but I have
> yet to conclude that TM triggers these folks past their tipping
> points.

Nor, for the record, have I. I have seen things
that make me conclude that the TMO *environment*
can trigger people past their tipping points.

<snip>
> And to me, it still is a "village thing."  The FF I last knew
> was coming into full maturity as a spiritual oasis where many
> cults could operate, and the people you meet at, say, Art Night,
> will be prepped well enough to not assume how on-or-off-the-
> program another person is and to be friendly, circumspect, and
> able to go along to get along.

That has certainly been my perception of the
place given what I have read here. I would
expect people in Fairfield the reality to be
FAR more civil and tolerant with each other
than people in Fairfield the virtual reality.