--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:

> > > I was commenting on the contrast between who we are
> > > in the intro and prep and how immerse the puja
> > > experience is.  There is no trying, involved, we where
> > > loud speakers who had been trained to parrot phrases.
> > > You are confusing my perspective now, for how it went
> > > down then.
> >
> > No, you're missing my point.
> >
> > >  just
> > >
> > > I sense you are trying to be sarcastic but I can't figure
> > > out why.
> >
> > I'm pointing out that you've described how the puja
> > was done in two different ways, citing two different
> > and opposing intentions. Earlier you said your script
> > called for you to make it seem that the student wasn't
> > participating in a religious ritual (my paraphrases
> > above); but in the post I'm responding to, you seem
> > to be suggesting that the setup was designed to impress
> > them with the puja's holiness and your devotion. (I'm
> > not even talking about the prep lecture here, just the
> > puja.)
>
> That wasn't mu point in describing the puja at all.
> I was not saying we were trying to impress them with
> the puja's holiness, I don't know why you would say
> that.

Well, on the basis of the paragraph from your earlier
post I quoted at the top.

> I was describing how it went down.  The truth is they
> met one guy at the intro and prep and then we lay the
> puja on them which is a study in contrasts.  We weren't
> trying to do anything in the puju, we were doing it by
> detailed scripting that gets them to participate with
> little resistance or explanation.  In describing how
> we have them take the flower I was just showing how we
> get them to participate without argument. "You'd LIKE
> to have a flower" is a long way from "Would you like to
> have a flower?" That was my point.

Yes, I know. But that's *my* point too; they're
taking it not because they want to hold the flower
but because you want them to. They haven't assented
to anything except the desire to be polite to *you*.

> > > I am describing what it feels like to do a puja
> > > for a stranger when we teach TM.  Remember we are
> > > speaking memorized lines from the moment we begin
> > > with the flower routine.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The casualness of
> > the flower and prasad bits doesn't match up with how
> > you're describing what it felt like to you.
>
> I don't get your point.  You are tying to match things
> up to create some kind of contradiction, but it isn't
> working. As I said, we were not trying to make the puja
> seem odd and very religious, it just is.

OK, it sounded contradictory to me. I personally didn't
find the puja that odd or impressive.

<snip>
> > I'm just seeing the whole motivation so differently
> > from you--not as setting a trap for the student to
> > fall unsuspectingly into the clutches of Hinduism,
> > but to *keep the student from doing any such thing*,
> > to minimize any possible conflict with the student's
> > religious beliefs while ensuring they have the best
> > possible start with the technique.
>
> That sounds like a possible POV. It is one I taught
> with.  But the parental role of minimizing any
> possibility of TM conflicting with their religious
> role is a bit too parental,

Oh, for goodness' sake. It isn't "parental" to not
want to impose something on somebody.

<snip>
> > I'll just repeat what I said: Doesn't Barry's account
> > support my point that it's only what the *individual*
> > thinks about what they're doing that's relevant?
>
> No.  People can think that A is NOT A.  They would be wrong.

OK. I think that's absurd in this context.