--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, satvadude108 <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Interesting rap TurquoiseB and Bhairitu. Thanks.
>
> Years ago  I lived and worked in Las Vegas for a year.
> To this day I am still fascinated by the phenomenology of
> experiencing those intense vibes day after day but
> remaining mindfully aware and not becoming overshadowed.
> I was never able to put into words in even a moderately
> adequate way what it felt like. The Surfing metaphor you
> touched on is one I always liked, but found the Razor's
> Edge analogy from the Katha Upanishad and Maugham to be
> better at evoking the immediate peril always present...
> ......prolly comes from growing up landlocked in an era
> before Trac II cartridge blades.    :-)
>
> I'd enjoy reading that story that you wrote in Detroit
> but did not include in RoadTrip. Is it available on the Net?

No, sorry...it is not. The master copy was on
a laptop that died, and foolishly without a
backup. I'd have to recreate it to allow any-
one to read it, and I don't know if I could
do that without being there in the room at
the time.

The "razor's edge" you speak of is NOT some-
thing that appeals to all spiritual seekers.
Many actually FEAR things that they have been
told are "unholy." They avoid such things like
the plague, and thus IMO avoid a good education
in "the extremes of what humans can be."

But there are some of us who took the "Unity"
thing literally, and do not see any difference
in the the "potential for enlightenment" between
a celibate monk and a stripper in a Las Vegas
club. Funnily enough, Buddha didn't see that
difference, either. That's one of the reasons
I like the dude and his "take" on spirituality.
Forget the koan, "Does a dog have Buddha-nature?"
If you want to see where a person lives, pose
them the koan, "Does a hooker have Buddha-
nature?" Their response indicates, IMO, whether
or not THEY have the potential of realizing
their own Buddha-nature in this incarnation.

All I know is that I have had some of my highest
experiences in this incarnation in settings and
among people that many spiritual seekers would
characterize as "low vibe." Being able to see
in them their "higher side" has always enlivened
that same "higher side" in me. Or so it seemed,
anyway.

I have very little tolerance for "holier than
thou" types. Perhaps you can tell. I tend to find
their definition of "holy" to be equivalent to
"elitist." The spiritual teachers I revere ( and
I really *do* still revere some of them ) were
the ones who emphasized the debilitating effects
of self importance. My experience on the spiritual
path for over forty years now has indicated to me
that self importance is the greatest trap that any
seeker or any group of seekers could ever fall
into. And when they not only fall into it but
fall into it so far that they *look down* on
those who are "less important"...?

Forget the Christian concept of Hell. Anyone who
lives in the state of attention that allows them
to believe that they are important enough to look
down on others because those others live a different
lifestyle than they do don't have to wait for the
fires of Hell and the tortures of the damned after
death. They're already damned here and now.

IMO, of course.  :-)