<snip>
> OK...here's my theory: Such writing is an attempt
> to SHARE MINDSTATES.
>
> It's an attempt to *shift the state of attention*
> of the reader, and force them to share the writer's
> state of attention.
>
> And, while this is admirable if the writer is in
> a *good* state of attention, it's less admirable
> when they aren't. The *intent* of such writing
> then becomes, "Here...read this. I want to bring
> you down to where I am, and I am not above using
> emotionally-manipulative language to do so."

Aren't we lucky to have Barry here to explain to
us the evils of attempting to bring down readers'
state of attention?

I mean, here he is, in an unfailingly *good*
state of attention, never negative, never mean,
never deceitful, never self-defensive, never
attempting to portray anybody as *less*
spiritual than he is, never using emotionally
manipulative language.

<horselaugh>

It's the hypocrisy, stupid.