--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

> > T'would seem we're about to see how much of a
> > "feminist" Raunchy really is. Some Pro-Choice
> > advocates are calling into question Sotomayor's
> > stance on the right to abortion. At this point
> > there seems to be no clear-cut evidence in her
> > writing one way or another.
>
> I'm sure there will be many questions Sotomayor will
> answer. We still don't know much about her. I'm crossing
> my fingers that she at least supports Roe v. Wade.

I consider this a sane and balanced answer.

> I can't imagine she would not.

This I do not. Your lack of imagination
reflects poorly only on yourself, not on
Sotomayor.

> > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/us/politics/28abortion.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss
> >
> > But isn't it an interesting test of just how
> > "liberal" and "progressive" women like Raunchy
> > really are? The thing I found most interesting
> > in the article is that everyone has assumed
> > that Obama (being Pro-Choice) would have picked
> > a person whom he knew to agree with him. As it
> > turns out, *he never asked the question*.
>
> What?!!! He never asked the question? What a fucking weasel!

This is an equally unsane response in my
opinion. It brings us back to previous
arguments on this forum between those who
are committed to reliance on axioms and
those who are committed to "doing the
right thing," as it appears to be the
right thing at the time, even if that
goes against an axiom they believe in
generally.

I am of the opinion that the former approach
(relying on axioms or dogma or moral codes
exclusively) is equivalent to fundamentalism.
And that thus it is not a Good Thing.

One of the things that I most admire in Obama
is that he is *NOT* committed to axioms. He
is a pragmatist, one whose action in the
moment considers all of the factors impinging
on the decision at that moment. Some of these
factors are axioms that he holds to be true,
but others *are* pragmatic, and if one is
committed to the concept of "doing the right
thing," I don't see how they can support the
fundamentalist notion of "always following the
axioms."

For example, as I mentioned before in a dis-
cussion with Edg, and as he replied to by
ignoring it completely :-), what if you believe
in a general axiom of "Thou shalt not kill?"
Now imagine that you -- believing that -- find
yourself in a position where you have the oppor-
tunity to kill a terrorist just before he sets
off a bomb that could kill hundreds or thousands
of people.

What's a believer in axioms to do?

A believer in pragmatism and being "in the moment"
would assess the situation from *all* sides. The
believer in "axioms only" would probably cause
the deaths of hundreds or thousands of people.

I believe that Raunchy's characterization of Obama
as a "weasel" for not asking Sotomayor what she
would do in a theoretical situation reveals more
about her than it does either Obama or Sotomayor.
Raunchy, by saying this, is positioning herself
*as* a fundamentalist, one who believes that it
is acceptable and in fact a Good Thing to demand
that the people one appoints to the Supreme Court
believe in the same axioms that you do, and that
they are prepared to act on those axioms, regard-
less of other concerns that appear "in the moment"
that a decision must be made.

Obama is beyond that. My assessment of the man
is that he does not allow such petty "You have
to believe the things I believe and commit to
doing them or you can't work for me" concerns
to dictate his choices as to nominees for public
office. My assessment of Obama is of a man who
is *NOT* a fundamentalist, *NOT* a person who
attaches himself to dogma and axioms, but one
who seeks the "best possible solution" in the
moment.

That kind of person I trust with the reins of
government. Someone who would only act on the
basis of some deeply-held belief about the
nature of reality and how one "should" act in
every situation is IMO incapable of *seeing*
reality. And that person I wouldn't trust
with my dog, much less my government.