--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> OK, that's pretty clear, and the points in the article
> below are well put, and you've posted examples of
> indisputable sexism against Hillary but please remind
> me, how did Obama "complicitly allow" sexism against
> Hillary? Should he have regularly chastised the bloggers
> during the campaign?

Bloggers and the media and his surrogates and
supporters, yes, indeed. He couldn't have stopped it
entirely, but he could have made it forcefully known
that he found it unacceptable and wanted it to stop.

> I received a lot of racist stuff during the campaign
> and still do. Doctored photos of the White House lawn
> turned into a watermelon patch, and stuff like that.

Rick, for goodness sake, do you really not recognize
the difference? The sexism was right up front, out
in the open, all over television and the newspapers,
all over otherwise respectable lefty blogs.

Racism from *other Democrats* was mostly under the
table, furtive. When racism against Obama was
reported in the media, it was with disgust and scorn
and outrage. Anyone who made an even faintly racist
remark on the same lefty blogs that were full of
open sexism against Hillary was anathematized.

And of course the absolute *nadir* of the Obama
campaign was its attempt to paint the Clintons as
racists. You've seen even on FFL how some attempt
to portray Hillary supporters as racists, along
with the incredibly sexist attacks on us.

Racism is no longer, thank goodness, publicly
acceptable in this society. But sexism still is. And
unlike racism, sexism is not primarily the province
of the right wing. That was the real shocker, that
so-called progressives, who are supposed to be for
women's rights, hadn't the slightest problem
indulging in it. And with Palin, we saw it coming
almost *exclusively* from the left.

Racism and sexism in the primary campaign simply
aren't equivalent.