> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > The "box turtle" statement above is really making the
> > > case against gay marriage by not making the case: It
> > > is not telling you what is wrong with gay marriage,
> > > but rather saying that if you allow gay marriage then
> > > you will have to allow something else you might not like."
> > >
> > > Read more...
> > > http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2009/01/29/8452
> > > http://tinyurl.com/brsdvm
> >
> > That's one way of looking at it; another way is to say
> > that those that support gay marriage and not other
> > kinds of marriage are hypocrites.
>
> Not if same-sex marriage is much more similar to
> opposite-sex marriage than it is to these "other
> kinds of marriage," which it obviously is.
>
> If there were a movement in favor of incestuous
> marriage or polygamy or box-turtle marriage as
> substantial as there is in favor of same-sex
> marriage, you might have a point (although there
> would still be good arguments against it), but
> there isn't.

I don't know what you mean by "substantial" but I suspect you mean "significant
numbers".  Certainly, there are WAY more gays than any of the other members of
groups mentioned.

But civil rights shouldn't be dependent upon "numbers"; that is, simply because
of the power of voting or influence given by substantial numbers should not
dictate who does and does not get civil rights.

About a month or two ago I posted an article from a Canadian newspaper
specifically about the slippery slope argument (sorry, I can't remember when
nor do I have the reference or link) regarding gay marriage in Canada where
it's been legal for several years and, yes, there are several movements afloat
to legalize both polygamy and incest.