shempmcgurk wrote:
> I saw the movie today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
>
> What surprised me is that Pitt and the American actors only have supporting
> roles. The real stars — and the ones who have most of the screen time — are
> the German and French actors: Diane Kruger, Melanie Laurent, and the
> excellent Christoph Waltz who is the main star of the movie.
>
> What ALSO surprised me is that the filmmakers allowed 80% of the dialogue to
> be in either French or German, with English subtitles. American movie-goers
> are notorious for hating sub-titles and success of a movie is often dependent
> upon dialogue being conducted in English…and American English, preferrably.
> Recall Texas governor Ma Ferguson's observation back in the '20s that "If
> English was good enough for Jesus Christ it's good enough for me."
>
> English is the center of the universe for most Americans.
>
> Not so here. And I fully expected an English-speaking movie because in the
> opening scene the German and French protagonists "switch" to English because,
> as it was explained by the character, it was a language they could both
> understand, causing me to think that this would set the stage for the entire
> movie to be spoken in English, which didn't happen.
>
> In the silly and asinine "Scarface" by Brian DePalma such a "trick" was
> employed when early on in the film the Al Pacino character says
> "Hey, we must practise our English so from now on, no more Spanish". And then
> the whole movie — of which 90% involved interactions between Latinos — was
> implausably conducted entirely in English.
>
> Bravo to Tarantino et al for not falling into this trap.

Haven't seen it yet. I often don't go to an opening day movie and since
I set my own schedule tend to go to weekday matinees to avoid the crowds
on the weekends or evenings. But I braved the 5 PM showing of District 9
last week which wasn't that crowded though it was the top box office
draw last week. I might see Inglourious tomorrow afternoon. District 9
was a hoot, definitely a great sci-fi film and we haven't see one of
those in some time.

I often rent foreign films and since my Hollywood Video account became
"video rationing" instead of "all you can eat" I leave it for Blu-Ray
rentals. I'll risk a $1 instead at the RedBox kiosk which has some
surprises such as the two recent Pang Brother Asian films and one I
rented last night which was an Argentine horror film with subtitles and
was filmed on a budget of $5K. "36 Pasos" is probably too weird and gory
for FFL'ers but was well acted the story had a good arc. Argentines are
living in a world the US may soon find itself as there are only two
classes: the rich and the poor. Interesting article by someone living there:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9628597/Lessons-from-Argentinas-economic-collapse

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: