--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> Brilliant film! Tarantino makes films they way they used to:
> the story drives the film not the film drives the story. Best
> film I've seen this year. Unfortunately I found the only flaw
> as poor Mike Myers with his character because it took you out
> of the movie. Brad Pitt didn't. And I didn't even recognize
> Rod Taylor. I loved that Tarantino used the cinema as a device
> in the story. The movie runs 152 minutes but you'd never
> notice. So much more to say but I don't want to get into
> spoilers. If you have friends that enjoy good film this is
> one to see together and discuss afterwards.

I finally saw it tonight, hampered somewhat by
having no subtitles and having to make do with
my high-school German and passable French. I
enjoyed it, and found it to be Classic Taran-
tino (which is a compliment in my book), but
far from a masterpiece, as some have been say-
ing about it. A weird, entertaining, alternate-
reality fantasy is what I'd call it.

I'd also call it a mess. It works only because
it's Tarantino, and we've been trained to view
his messes as "artistic." But it was a good
ride, and as I said I enjoyed it.

To counterpoint your being disturbed by Mike
Myers' performance, *I didn't even notice he
was in the film*. Thus I completely disagree
with your "take" on his presence being dis-
turbing or distracting. I found myself paying
no attention whatsoever to the actors (except
for Brad Pitt doing the world's worst Southern
accent and Melanie Laurent, because she's hot),
merely to the characters they played.

I liked the soundtrack choices, but that's
because I get the joke. This is Tarantino's
"spaghetti western," just done as a WWII war
movie. He has said as much himself in inter-
views. Most of the music was *from* previous
spaghetti westerns.