--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2009, at 8:46 PM, jpgillam wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Hordes of TMers have taken up Buddhist or other kinds of Hindu
> > > meditation.
> >
> > So why are there not scads of Buddhist groups
> > on Doug's list? I don't expect zen zealots to
> > relocate to Fairfield, Iowa, but I would expect
> > a few former TMers who live there to form zen groups.
>

> I can't say such groups do not exist. They might. But I suspect FF is
> seen as a Hindu style New Age town, based on the what I get from posts
> on FF spiritual teachers. If they are there, I'd expect them to keep a
> low profile or be occasional visitors.

Yes, that is fairly true.  When i've seen it in FF it is fairly clandestine.
For instance, the Weds group meditation i go to that is effectively
transcendental vipasannaic has a lot of people who also go to the dome, so it
is kept under wraps mostly to protect those folks.

Figure also that the TM movement is culturally so pre-disposed against what
they see as buddhist meditations.  A profound pre-disposition that is defined
from the Transcendental Meditation second lecture that is always given to
people as they would start TM.

That preparatory lecture is a complete argument against buddistic type
meditations both in theory and with scientific charts from the  old days of TM.
 That argument was an integral part of presenting TM.  It was always
hard-hitting.

So figure the TM culture is not very flexible on this point.  To the TM
culture, buddhism would equal the wrong way.  That is from way back in TM
culture.  There just is not a lot of reception or even respect towards Buddhism
within Transcendental Meditation.  Hence buddhism has never really taken hold
in FF.  The bookstores do have books on it.

-D in FF