Fair enough. I accept that your snark was intended
as a snarky joke; I probably reacted to it because we
hold different assumptions about a couple of concepts.

The first is that I don't accept what you and others
have referred to as "waking up" on this forum as
synonymous with enlightenment. Literally *all* of
the experiences presented and discussed here over
the years I would class as minor awakenings, not
enlightenment.

This includes any of my own that I have ever discussed,
and any discussed by, say, Tom Traynor. It *certainly*
includes any discussed by, say, Rory or Jimbo or lesser
illuminaries. This is not to dump on the experiences
per se, just to say that I (and, seemingly, Vaj) have very
different standards for what constitutes enlightenment
than Fairfielders seem to.

The second concept on which we might differ is about
"nudges," as you describe them. While I certainly admit
that they exist, and have experienced such "nudges"
myself, I tend to think of them as "Dumbo's feather."
That is, placebos. I see such "nudges" as ways to trick
the person into realizing what is already present, and
has always already been present.

I'm not a big one for "shakti" in particular, because I
have experienced what most call shakti and know it for
what it really is, the "pushing out" of occult energies.
Yeah, you get a rush from that, and the rush can push
someone "over the edge" into the realization of what
has always already been present, but my experience is
that such realizations tend to be fleeting, and don't
last. The seeker who "wakes up" as a result of a good
toke on someone's shakti is more often than not the
first in line the next time the "shakti-giver" comes to
town, hoping for another toke.

I also have a little less respect for the NeoAdvaita
approach than many, for similar reasons. I have seen
very, very few examples of such "awakenings" lasting
any longer than a few days.

YMMV. I *understand* that your experience may
suggest to you that some traditional approaches to
self discovery are "treadmills," and they might well
be. But your snark was -- to me -- in the same ball-
park as someone suggesting that no gays want to
go to heaven, otherwise they wouldn't be stuck on
a treadmill that leads straight to Hell.

That's pretty absolutist. If anyone were stupid enough
to suggest that to your face, you might have words
with them. :-) But you essentially suggested the same
sort of thing about Buddhism -- that it led nowhere,
and that anyone who pursues it will get nowhere.

That may well be. Unlike Jed McKenna, I don't claim
to know. All that I know is that I have been under-
whelmed for some time by the places that the FF "wake
up" groups have led them. They *do not map* to the
descriptions of enlightenment I hold to be somewhat
accurate (as accurate as descriptions in words can ever
be, that is).

Again, YMMV.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "j_alexander_stanley"

<dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:

> > > Figure also that the TM movement is culturally so
> > > pre-disposed against what they see as buddhist
> > > meditations.  A profound pre-disposition that is
> > > defined from the Transcendental Meditation second
> > > lecture that is always given to people as they would
> > > start TM.
> >
> > Exactly. What was shocking about Alex's snark was
> > that he didn't know how bigoted it was. I'm *never*
> > surprised when Nabby spouts eltist nonsense he's
> > been taught it by the TMO, but *Alex*?
>
> As Rick pointed out, there are quite a number of people who have woken
up in FF. What seems to often be the case is that after decades on the
TM treadmill, people need an outside, non-TM nudge to knock them off the
treadmill and into freedom. FF seems to attract the appropriate nudges,
and Doug's list seemed to indicate that Buddhism wasn't one of them.
Since one of the prevailing themes of FFL (thanks in no small part to
you) is beating up on other spiritual traditions, I cracked a snarky
little joke about it.

> I am surprised by your reaction, though. For someone who has spent
well over a decade, constantly bashing other spiritual seekers and
traditions, I would think that a comment like mine would have rolled off
like water off a duck's back, not even worthy of a comment.

> I have no particular animosity towards Buddhism outside not being
terribly impressed by FFL's Buddhist presence. Jed McKenna describes
Buddhism as basically just another treadmill on which to do time, and I
can see how that might be the case, Adyashanti being a notable
exception.