--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Rick Archer wrote:
>
> > I'm not saying people should stop meditating. I haven't missed a
> > meditation since I learned in 1968. I'm just saying that for some
> > people it may be appropriate or beneficial to stop, temporarily or
> > permanently. I know a fellow who suffered a psychotic breakdown
> > after too much meditation on the Purusha program. Maybe he should
> > stop. I think he did, at least for a while.
>

> Very disturbing story.
>
> I suppose we should expect a scientific paper any day now entitled
> "TM and Psychosis"? I can hardly wait to see the Unified Field Chart
> on that one!
>
> No, seriously I hope your friend is well and was able to find
> something other than TM for a practice so he doesn't suffer even more
> potential illness from his practice of TM. It would be very risky
> starting meditation again under such circumstances.
>
> I wonder how under-reported this phenomenon is? Was he mentally
> healthy prior to joining Purusha?

Not so much under-reported as hushed-up.

Before joining purusha you have to have a signed doctors
note proclaiming you mentally and physically healthy.
No exceptions. The argument is that stress will find it's
way out through the weakest point in the physiology.
The trouble with mental problems is it can be hard to
know when "Something good is happening" becomes "Call an
ambulance - fast".

When I applied for purusha I thought it was exciting
that I would be doing something so powerful that I might
end up chained to a wall somewhere. If it's dangerous
it must be good right? Not everyone gets their jollies
that way though and these things are hushed-up out of
embarrassment and a need to protect the image of TM
as the answer to the problems of psychology*

*Science of being and art of living, chapter 5.