Vaj wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Rick Archer wrote:
>
>> I'm not saying people should stop meditating. I haven't missed a
>> meditation since I learned in 1968. I'm just saying that for some
>> people it may be appropriate or beneficial to stop, temporarily or
>> permanently. I know a fellow who suffered a psychotic breakdown after
>> too much meditation on the Purusha program. Maybe he should stop. I
>> think he did, at least for a while.
>

> Very disturbing story.
>
> I suppose we should expect a scientific paper any day now entitled "TM
> and Psychosis"? I can hardly wait to see the Unified Field Chart on
> that one!
>
> No, seriously I hope your friend is well and was able to find
> something other than TM for a practice so he doesn't suffer even more
> potential illness from his practice of TM. It would be very risky
> starting meditation again under such circumstances.
>
> I wonder how under-reported this phenomenon is? Was he mentally
> healthy prior to joining Purusha?

I read a paperback around 1980 by a chiropractor who I believe practiced
TM but said that he noticed that with some of his patient meditation was
not beneficial and for those he recommended exercise instead.   They got
much better results from a daily walk or jog.  He concluded that
meditation wasn't for everyone.

I've been looking at meditation techniques and their relationship to
ayurveda.  In ayurveda you have specific mantras to balance each dosha.
Some gurus seem to have a "rough" system of observation for selecting
mantras for a devotee.   These correlate to the ayurveda criteria and
mantras.   In ayurveda you wouldn't give a calming mantra to someone who
is kapha.  That might make one even more kapha.  You give them a
stimulating mantra instead.

Comparatively TM is much more rigid.  It won't fit everybody.  Recently
Nabby was warning people about the dangers of  worshiping Kali.  But
there are Kali mantras used in TM.

In my new practice there are rules for stopping meditation and one is
when it stops being beneficial.  The meditation break is usually only
temporary.