Vaj wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2009, at 9:54 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>

>> Vaj wrote:
>>
>>> My mantra shastra guru explained there were two ways to give mantra
>>> authentically: puja and adhikara. Adhikara meant you knew the person well
>>> enough, like a traditional guru would know his student, to know what was
>>> best for their personality, their goals and their karma. Adhikara was best,
>>> puja was secondary--but with puja the correct way was what the student
>>> wanted or loved. I do believe the way M. designed the mantra to be given
>>> and empowered is authentic, just unusual.
>>>

>> Yes I am familiar with this. So you're saying that because the student
>> signed up to "learn" TM that is what they "want." And hence the puja
>> method was used.
>>

> No actually they knew what god or goddess they wanted. For example, a
> businessman might want Laxmi, a scholar might want Saraswati, etc. Where this
> is hidden, issues arise.

Yes I'm aware of that practice too but it won't work in the west.  I was
suggesting that TM might be an abstraction of that but really it is just
another technique for the masses (don't tell anyone here that).  In fact
it started very similar to what most yogis teach that way.   I think I
agree with Rick that he was trying to differentiate TM from the other
public systems and hence the current program.