> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> >
> > In 1999 I was working for a technology PR company that
> > monitored Y2K stories for a 'well known software giant'
> > and it seemed to me that the stories of impending doom
> > came primarily from newspapers desperate to sell copy
> > and from computer companies trying to make a buck riding
> > on the wave of hysteria.
> > The best post apocalypse show ever made. As bleak as the
> > day is long. I like my doom and gloom.
>
> By the way, not to get into the "debate" any
> deeper than to laugh at one side of it

Without, of course, reading any of the series
analysis, evidence, and testimony that supports the
side he's laughing at, let alone trying to rebut it.

Some systems were more vulnerable to Y2K problems
than others; an anecdotal report of one set of
systems that functioned properly without a Y2K fix
tells us nothing about the real extent of the threat.

No account of the Y2K flap that I've read denies
that it was overhyped in the media; no account denies
that more was done than turned out to be necessary.

Ironically, once Y2K had come and gone without major
disruption, the very media that had been selling
papers and eyeballs with hysterical predictions were
the first to claim that because none of them came
true, therefore the threat had never existed in the
first place--and using that claim to sell still more
papers and eyeballs.