On Feb 21, 2010, at 5:33 PM, BillyG wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:
>
> > The mantras that are recited
> > are no mantras at all.
> > Without the immutable potency that is in the mantras,
> > as their very life and soul (jiva),
> > they are futile like a cloud that will not rain.
> >
> > Shiva-sutra-vimarshini
> >
> So Vaj-That really sounds romantic, now, just how are the mantras given
> *potency*? And IF the mantras have **"immutable potency"** how then can it be
> lost?

Usually through mantra diksha and then specific initiatory abhishekas.
Shaktipat is usually part of the latter. That way what was awakened in the
teacher, is actually, tangibly, passed on.

TM mantras are (IMO) actually passed on in authentic away, if the teacher
awakened something in his or her roundings. They're just not very balanced
mantras, and so can therefore affect unbalanced persons in a negative way and
they're not specific to the unique characteristics of the student receiving
them. Many Hindu gurus consider their traditions in danger of extinction and
that "casting seeds where only some will fall in fertile ground" is allowable.
That's not OK with me. We now know that repetitive mentation physically shapes
the brain. What happens when that goes awry?

In that way Chopra's "108 mantras" could actually be 108/12 or 9 times as bad
as TM mantra-diksha, as there is at least 9 times more chance for mistakes.

The students loves, desires and dislikes are of paramount importance.