Precisely.  Mantras are activated by Shakti, which builds up over time through
repetition of various rituals and continual renewal by realized Saints over the
centuries.
 Piecemeal detraction of the various components of the Morphogenetic field will
eventually result in a mantra without power.  For example, we can replace the
pic of Guru Dev by Jesus, replace "Vishnu" by perhaps "Cheney";...and so on.
Eventually we can try eliminating the puja altogether along with all references
to the "Gods"...; and while were at it, we can censor all of the statements of
Guru Dev on the web posted by Paul Mason.
Even further, we can say "just repeat any name of God you prefer" and then try
that.  How about "ppppeeeeaaaaaccccceee, pppeeeeeaaaaccceee....."
That's the way things are headed.