> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues"

> > > Obviously I'm in favor of valuing the work women do,
> > > but I'm not real fond of the phrase "women's work."
> > > By far the majority of the work to be done can be done
> > > by either sex, so I'm wary of perpetuating the
> > > traditional categorizations. That's an attitude that
> > > needs to change before there can be real transformation.
> > >
> > > (Although maybe if women were paid well enough for
> > > "women's work," men would stop feeling those kinds of
> > > work were beneath them and want to get in on the
> > > action.)
> >
> > How does this work? Who hires the domestic workers? Who pays
> > them? Is there any limit? Any restrictions? If someone doesn't
> > like their job, and they get paid by the state , say $20,000
> > year per kid ... this is a path is not going to end in a happy
> > place. Bored with high school? Have 5 kids and score a cook 100
> > grand a year. If the kids turn out to be crackheads, can we go
> > back and collect the parent pay?
> >
> > Can I get paid for doing "good things"?
>
> Heh. On Patel's Web site, he links in the quote above to
> Wikipedia's page on Basic Income. The notion pretty much
> avoids most of the problems you cite by giving a basic
> income to everyone, the only condition being citizenship.
> I think Bhairitu has mentioned something along these lines
> here. Seems like a rather naive idea to me, but I haven't
> really looked into it. Anyhow, that's the kind of approach
> Patel has in mind.

Actual Milton Friedman (prominent economist) proposed a negative income tax,
and Nixon seriously considered it. I think the idea was instead of giving food
stamps, housing subsidies, welfare, health care, (perhaps education) to all,
give them a guaranteed income so that they can exercise their consumer
soverenty and make the best choices to maximize their particular satisfaction.
(Personally I would guess from experience that meth might be the most
satisfying education, food and health in some consumers' view).

> I was amused to find that I wasn't the only person to have
> reacted negatively to the term "women's work." Here's a
> comment from the Web site on that part of the post, and his
> reply (which addresses your concerns as well):
>
> -----
> I am very much behind you in most of your "Cheaponomics"
> statements, but find your statement concerning "womens' work"
> beyond offensive. Oh, yes, please, just pay me for my life of
> drudgery instead of requiring that husbands/companions and
> fathers share in this work. Instead,shouldn't the suggestion be
> to eradicate this scourge of the women of this world, the out-
> dated patriarchal society that still thrives world-wide today,
> even in such "enlightened" countries as my own U.S.?
>
> Patel responds:
>
> You're right, Victoria – I think we need a three part
> approach (and I learned this from Diane Elson, one of
> the feminist economists whose ideas shaped The Value of
> Nothing). When it comes to domestic labour, we need to
> Recognise, Redistribute and Reduce.
>
> Recognise means to appreciate that the labour is
> actually taking place,

yes.

> and is an ongoing subsidy to
> capitalism.

I think thats backwards, or sideways.

> There's a bit of a debate around whether
> paying for domestic labor
>defeats the purpose – but
> that's why I think something like a basic income grant
> is good – it severs the link between work and income,
> and moves us to a new way of thinking about how we
> earn and pay for things.

He hasn't made much of a case her, or yet.

> The second part is Redistribute: domestic labour needs,
> actively, to be redistributed away from women so that
> it is equitably shared.

Yes.

> And finally, the work needs to be reduced insofar as we
> can come up with ways and technologies for reducing the
> amount of work that has to be done in the first place.

OK -- but he doesn't really make the case for the negative income tax / basic
income idea (just thinking out loud, not arguing with you or any one).

> I'll write about this more in the future, but I've got to
> go make breakfast for my family!
> -----
>
> Boy, he's slick...

However, in a post industrial society -- we are not yet there but one can
contemplate nano-engineering, vast cheap, energy cheap from algae etc, new
building materials, Internet based tele-medicine, real time monitors of a huge
array of bio status, etc that a basic standard of living could "cheap" and a
case could be made to ensure such -- the benefits to society -- beyond
compassion -- would be that such would make currently homeless and severely
deprived able to make more of a social contribution -- with everyone
benefiting. But I would like to see a link to life-long learning and life-long
entrepreneurialship (along the lines of everyday small business creation.) Give
domestic workers, male or female, micro loans to create small businesses -- and
loans or grants to get more education and skill sets -- rather than income
grants.