--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> The reason it is wrong to persecute gay people has nothing to do with the
> scripture.  The reason people practice hospitality and charity has nothing to
> do with the scripture.  These are values we hold as a society or at least try
> to impose laws to disallow the worst violations.  Linking these behaviors
> good or bad to the authority of scripture rather than the process of
> reasonable discourse about what kind of world we want to live in is the
> problem in my view.  Because there is nothing intrinsic in the system of
> authority that guides one person to use it for good and another to use it for
> evil.
>
> So I say let all human ideas stand on their own merit and don't shield
> spiritual claims with claims of bigotry just because someone challenges the
> idea as a bad one, held for bad reasons.  You would be right to tell a
> holocaust denier that his idea was wrong by the evidence even if he didn't
> use it to do bad things to Jews today. And a person who challenges them to
> provide evidence to support their outrageous belief is not a bigot for asking
> them to prove it.

Apologies up front for jumping into what appears to be a much longer
discussion. While not disagreeing with your major points, applying them in a
larger context seems a gray area. Not challenging, or countering, just
exploring.

Take for example a fanatic fan, perhaps strongly believes that the Red Soxs
WILL win this year, it is their destiny, and they are the greatest franchise
that ever existed. They may not hurt anybody with this belief  (well except me
perhaps if I challenge to vigorously -- or after their 6th beer. ) And some
fans can take you down a long logical trail as to why the Red Soxs in reality
do rock. It may be hard to refute some points, and time sucking to unravel
flaws in what appears to be reasonable logic. Why should I take the time -- if
the belief doesn't hurt anyone.

While I CAN challenge them, I doubt that I would take the time. There are so
many idiotic positions people build out if false information, premises,
reasoning and perception. Which ones should one challenge, how vigorously, and
to what gain for anyone?

Plus, its my observation, that people are far less likely to change their
minds, is sustained and deeps ways, if you simple challenge their beliefs. They
may indeed dig in deeper not that their egos are involved. It is often more
productive, from my experience, to create conditions that enable the "believer"
to challenge their own ideas, and to see the light -- to create that "ah ha"
experience within them - on their own terms, using their own logic. Not always
easy -- but not always hard either.

I might distinguish between lower and higher probabilities of harm. The false
Red Sox's belief may induce little if any harm. What about the belief
"everybody is essentially good deep inside" or "everyone is essentially bad
deep inside". Either belief could cause harm to the believe or those they
interact with. Should we challenge them with the Truth -- (which of course is
MY slant on things) that people are neither fully good or bad inside? And do I
have any proof of that?

Let's take Creation stories. When there is a mystery -- all sorts of
explanations may arise -- look at 9/11. For something as big as creation, a
huge array of stories, many great, arise. Yet we don't really have definitive
proof as to how creation really came about. Physics thinks it knows some things
about it, but not the whole thing.
Some of the cross-cultural creation stories are certainly more entertaining,
often more inclusive (children of nature and all), and more inspiring than dry
physics and equations might be. Is the latter superior in all ways?

What about a false idea that does good. A number or religious groups are
increasingly seeing the environment as God, or God's creation,  and are
increasing gearing up to fight for ecological causes.  Is it productive to tell
them they are all wet, challenge to prove God works in this way? Or just let
them  to be deluded while doing the right thing. And maybe God is embedded deep
in nature -- and should be cared for -- like an alter everywhere - I can't
disprove that.

Your point appears to touch on the right to challenge. I don't feel constrained
to challenge any's belief. I only choose to do so if their crazy story affects
me. If someone says that God says I need to kill my first son -- I would
challenge them in a quite vigorous WTF way (or do a call out to God" God, you
must be putting me on. God said, no, I said huh, and God said son, do what you
want but look out next time you are on highway 61".

If someone says that God says I need to kneel and pray 5 times a day -- I might
say -- well, thats nice, but it's not part of my routine, I don't care to do
so, I see no proof that God said this (probably because I may challenge an
anthropomorphic deity) -- but I can see a beauty in it, a surrender to nature,
a letting go -- and may see benefit in that. And good exercise if you have
picked yourself off the floor lately. Why should I challenge their belief.

> People will always believe things that are false.  Myself included.  The
> issue for me is how we discuss ideas, with freedom of the right to challenge
> bad evidence, or in a protected class of beliefs that are considered too
> special to be subjected to the same process that we use for every other idea
> in our society.  No one would claim that a person is being a bigot for
> telling a member of the the other political party that their ideas have no
> merit.

No, they would probably just be egoistically blind and stupid. Finding fault
with some ideas, and finding absolutely no merit are two quite different
things. I would be a bigot of sorts to take such absolute stands. Look at this
group. 37.5% would say an emphatic "No!" if asked if Republicans have ANY ideas
of merit. (24.6% would say the same about Democrats.)That's as closed minded as
one can get -- a categorical, absolute rejection of a vast array of ideas --
most of them probably unknown to, or unconsidered, by the denier. Trying to
correct other's false beliefs before correction all of ones own false beliefs
is folly.

>  And no one would get away with a bad idea with the excuse that they haven't
> hurt anyone with it yet. The freedom to challenge ideas is a very good thing.

The freedom to challenge is good. And I don't see explicit barriers to doing
so. Other than the constraints of politeness and time. And in some cases
livlihood. At work, a large company, I could challenge so many unsupported
unsupportable beliefs of colleagues.  I don't generally because such beliefs
don't directly affect my professional interaction with them. And by challenging
them, bad feelings could arise which could affect my professional dealings with
them. I interact with a lot of people at work, and depend on a certain mutual
sense of good will and trust. By correctly pointing out their false beliefs (in
topics not directly related to work) I break down and perhaps break that
goodwill and trust.

What about something fundamental: people who believe firmly that they create
their own thoughts. I no more create my thoughts than I create my beard. The
latter just grows, and the former just bubbles up so to speak. But the view of
creating and ownership of ones thoughts can be a highly dangerous belief --
distorting, leaking into and poisoning most other perspectives. And while I
have the right to challenge their perceptions -- best to leave sleeping dogs
lie.