--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

[snip]
> But in the case of the karmic thoery and its social manifestation in the
> caste system the numbers are reversed.  We have millions of people who
> believe in this thoery outside India who may not be using it for repression.
> But we have close to a billion people in India whose lives are oppressed by
> this belief.
[snip]

But not the SAME belief?

Trying to follow this conversation...

Seems to me that you are confusing a doctrine of
fatalism with the doctrine of karma. You can be
a fatalist without believing in karma - and vice
versa.

Karma is the idea that the world is a "just" system
(as you said before). And the justice is believed to
to consist in (essentially) "as you sow shall ye reap".

That doctrine in itself carries no implication as to
how one should act towards those more unfortunate than
ourselves. That needs OTHER beliefs.

The truth is that it is karma + fatalism that has produced
the unfortunate "quietism" that has caused so much trouble
in, say, India. As MMY often pointed out.

Fatalism is the idea that how we find ourselves is
somehow "how we are meant to be". And it fatally (!)
lends itself to the thought that "if this is how it's
meant to be, who am I to think I should do anything to
change it?". It seems to me that that should be the
correct target of your frustration?

Belief in karma is something else. It is just the
universalisation of a principle we use all the time
(of responsibility). If I choose to take my sailboat
out in appalling weather, I have myself to blame if
I get into difficulties (my "karma"). Fortunately
for me, seeing it that way is not enough to stop most
folks from considering trying to rescue me if they can!

Or, take a child born with deformities. If I believe
in karma and reincarnation, then I am led to believe
that, yes, this is the consequence of past actions.
(or, another way of saying the same thing, there is
in reality no such thing as "luck"). But to get
the unpleasant attitude you are hostile to, we need
to add an additional component into the mix: That
this a "punishment" from *God* with which I must
not interfere. And that's the fatalism, which in no
way follows from the theory of karma.

(And perhaps the real villain is not "fatalism", but
something that lies behind that: religious hubris, the
idea we can know the intentions of God. But personally
I wouldn't think we moderns should get too smug about
that, as hubris seems to be the sin of our age too!)