--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>
wrote:

> First of all if we want to talk about having a simplistic
> understanding of the Hindu religious beliefs I have to
> object to your using Krishna's statement about the
> unfathomable nature of Karma out of context. He is
> referring to the future effect of an action and all its
> implications for a group of people and an individual
> trying to make a decision.

Exactly. One of the things that always amuses me
is that the very people who tend to trot out the
olde "Unfathomable are the ways of karma" saw are
the very ones who seem to get up on their high
horses the most when they perceive something as
"unfair" and feel the need to "correct" it. Some-
how the ways of karma suddenly become not only
fathomable to them but self-evident when this
magical whatever-it-is-that-allows-them-to-fight-
on-the-side-of-right happens. :-)

> As far as the specific punishments for various actions and the
> specific type of birth punishment meted out by  Karma the Hindu
> scriptures are very clear. If you read the Laws of Manu you will
> find very detailed descriptions of what happens for trying to
> buck the caste system. (and we have already dealt with Maharishi attempted
> dodge, it doesn't hold up if you actually read the book.)

The Laws of Manu has to be one of the most horrific
texts ever created by human beings. WAY worse in its
specificity than anything written by Hitler or the
fundiest Christian Fundamentalist. The whole thing
is about fostering an attitude of unblinking obeisance
to The Law Of Preserving The Elite Status Of Those
Who Claim To Be Able To Perceive The Law. Icky.

> Here is where Sam Harris and I agree.  The absurdity of religious
> beliefs are being protected by people who are assuming a modified
> version that removes the most obviously antisocial elements. I am
> not arguing against your personal mix of ideas Judy. They are none
> of my business.
>
> I am arguing against a system of beliefs that claims to know how
> the universe works after death. And a society that uses that
> system to oppress people for generations.

Why limit it to "after death." Most of the "laws" that
those who have oppressed people with have written are
dealing with what they (the oppressors) are allowed to
do to those who don't do what they want them to *before*
death.

I think that you can edit your statement above, Curtis,
and make it more accurate. The problem with religious
beliefs is people who claim to "know," period.

If the people who claim to "know" are few and have no
social power or status, they are merely cultists. But
if the people who claim to "know" happen to be the
ruling class of a country, what they "know" tends to
become formalized not only in religious "laws" but in
social ones as well. Then you get laws like being able
to kill an untouchable for looking askance at a Brahmin.

> What you believe in your self determined life in your free
> society has nothing to do with my objection. You have the
> luxury of believing anything you want precisely because our
> society has rejected the Vedic claim ...

And the Christian claim, and the Jewish claim, and...

> ...that they know everything about how life works based on
> old books and a tradition that tells a child: "you will
> never be good enough."

I have *never* understood those who make excuses for the
Indian caste system merely because Maharishi did. I mean,
his whole *life* can be viewed as a form of rebellion
against the caste system he portrayed himself as believing
in. If he had really believed in it, he would never have
begun teaching *because his caste is not allowed to set
themselves up as teachers*. He would *certainly* never have
created a bunch of out-caste white people as "rajas" or
"kings" of an imaginary Vedic country if he had truly
believed in the caste system.

Maharishi believed in the caste system when it allowed him
to get his way. As has everyone else in human history who
either invented it or used it to suppress others *to* get
their way.

I think that anyone who *dares* to support the idea of
the caste system should get to live a little of the karma
of being ridiculed for doing so. The *only* reasons they
can ever seem to come with for defending it are 1) Maha-
rishi did, so it must have been right, or 2) it says so
in "the Vedic literature," which was written by People
Who Knew.

I don't think any of them ever "knew." I don't think any
human being in history has ever "known." I think they only
pretended to know because that made it easier for them to
get their own way. As far as I know, not a single one of
the "holy tradition" of teachers whom TMers revere ever
paid their own way in life. Not one. Their lives were paid
for by others, whom they had convinced *to* pay for them
by convincing these others that they "knew" something.

I think that to be kind the only thing we can be certain
that any of them ever "knew" was how to get others to pay
for their lives so they didn't have to.