--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anatol_zinc" <anatol_z...@...> wrote:

ME:Chopra does try your move of redefining God into something basic and obvious
like existence that no one could argue with.  This is a false move because it
lacks the other associated beliefs about God which for many include scripture.

> AWAKENED:   Forget about thinking, forget about body, just relax. My question
> is, do you know without thinking about it that you exist right here and right
> now?

To know anything requires reflection.  I can have sensations and feelings that
dominate thought or just pay attention to the quiet aspect of my mind. But to
know that we exist as a form of knowledge requires more reflection than say a
person in a coma.  For all we know they are in a state of inner pure conscious
awareness but without the ability to express it as knowledge it isn't going to
help this philosophical discussion.

> ATHEIST:    [after some silence in presence of the awakened one]

Vibes huh?  Lucky atheist.

> OK, I exist right here right now.
>
> AWAKENED:   Obviously, it would be foolish to deny your own existence.

OK so far.  Existence is obvious, or should be. The question is what we choose
to include in this concept.

> ATHEIST:    OK, so what about God?
>
> AWAKENED:   Existence itself is God.

Buzzzz!  Then why do we have two words?  The reason there is a term "God" is
that it includes something that precedes and gives rise to creation.  If you
strip him of these duties then you are redefining the term from its use in most
cultures. If you want to redefine a term then you need to spend a bit more time
laying out some of the qualities of your new God idea.

Does it exist outside material creation?
Did it create the universe?
Can it be communicated with?
Does it reveal itself in scripture?
How is it different from the traditional ideas of God in Christianity or
Hinduism for example?

<It is on the substratum of existence itself that everything else exists.>

If you are making an ontological claim you need to be a bit more precise than
using existence to prove existence. What is it "sub" in relationship to?  Is it
beyond material creation, is that the claim?  The term "existence" is a
conception that needs more information about what you are asserting that it
includes.  The primacy of existence for some people means physical creation
itself.  Are you loading the word with more than that?

< Existence itself is your own direct experience in the here and now>.

It is a concept, a conclusion we draw from our actual perceptions and
sensations and mental awareness.  It is not a self supporting ontological
identity like matter.  I can conclude that I exist without having the term
existence refer to what some people assert is a part of existence like
"absolute being" in Hinduism.

< To deny it would be like saying "I have no tongue"  with the tongue.>

Not such a good analogy.  You are comparing something we have a physical
sensation for and a concept that requires more definition to make sense to
someone else. We all have tongues but do not define what is included in
existence the same way.  It is not a self evident thing in detail.

> ATHEIST:    [dumfounded, speechless, mind stopped for a while]

This is sort of a reworked Descartes' first principles.  There is a bit of
assumption in the existence beyond thought attempt.  That we can know a state
of mind without reflection and that is the true first principle.  But since it
is a subjective state it isn't really an improvement on "I think therefore I
am."  You seem to be saying "I am therefore I am" and the question is how do
you know your own existence.  I'm guessing it involves more than just sitting
in silence, especially when you come back to the world of language required to
discuss it.