--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> <anatol_zinc@> wrote:
>
> >> Existence itself is your own direct experience in the
> >> here and now.
>
> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
>
> > It is a concept, a conclusion we draw from our actual
> > perceptions and sensations and mental awareness.  It is not
> > a self supporting ontological identity like matter.
>
> ..."a self supporting ontological identity". That puzzles me!
> What does that mean? And how does matter get to have this
> property?

Ontology deals with what exists.  Epistemology deals with how we know and how
we can be confident about our knowledge and ethics deals with how we should act
with each other.

With existence the question is "where do we start?"  What are your first
principles of experience.  I have chosen matter as my starting place and by
kicking a stone or skipping 13 consecutive meals you might join me.  Now there
is a position in philosophy that is used as a thought exercise called extreme
skepticism which says that since we only experience the outside world through
our own minds and not directly, we have reason to doubt that anything exists as
separate from our consciousness. (my apologies to all Western philosophy for
squeezing these concepts into my tiny brain and presenting them this way!)
Anyhooo...I am not an extreme skeptic. Starting with the physical world suites
me fine.  If it is all illusion, how would I know?  Plus there are really
wonderful things to eat in this world once you take matter seriously as a first
principle and prepare them well!

In our discussion I was making a different distinction between the concept of
"existence" which contains different qualities for the absolute skeptic (serves
shitty luncheons, I suggest you bring your own) and myself. (Bring a bottle of
inexpensive wine if you care to but leave the food to me), and stuff like rocks
and trees and our bodies, which is only conceptual for people who play too many
video games.