--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
<snip>
> > > the environment.  It is a way to mask the hubris of his
> > > true beliefs.  He almost sounds like he has some common
> > > sense about the limits of his personal power.
> >
> > Actually, I think he was mocking people like you, Curtis,
> > right down to your propensity to make something sinister
> > out of a self-deprecating gag.
>
> Yeah Judy he was mocking people who call him on his
> fantasy that his state of mind affects the world.
> Really got me!

Here you are huffing and puffing, and he's chortling.

> > If he says he believes he can cause an earthquake by
> > meditating, that's hubris.
> >
> > If he says he *doesn't* believe he can cause an earthquake
> > by meditating--why, that's hubris too!
>
> The reason the joke works is because part of his teaching
> actually states that his state of mind affects the world.
> It isn't hubris to make the joke, it is hubris to believe
> that your state of mind affects the world.

It would be hubris if he believed he could cause an
earthquake with his meditation.

But he doesn't believe that, you see. Hhe has some
common sense about the limits of his personal power.

> Do you share this belief about yourself,is that why you
> are so quick to defend him?

BREAKING NEWS: You don't have to share a person's beliefs
to defend them from unfair attack.

That said, I don't know whether one's state of mind can
affect "the world" (depending on what you mean by "world"),
and *neither do you*.

But like Chopra, I don't believe one person's meditation
can bring about an earthquake.

> Now if he wants to retract all his statements about his
> power over the world with the state of his mind I will
> happily retract my accusation of hubris.

And I don't think you should be making accusations when
you can't tell the difference between what he believes
and what he doesn't believe.

> > And how *dare* he have a sense of humor about himself?
> > That's the *ultimate* in hubris.
>
> If he didn't actually believe that his state of mind
> affects the world you might have a point.

He doesn't actually believe his meditation caused the
earthquake. That's why his tweets were funny.

> But the fact is he does. I wasn't saying how dare he
> anything.  I was just showing how people with wacky
> beliefs about their place in the world sometimes mask
> them with humor about a straw man wacky belief.

You were asserting that this is what he was doing. You
were, in other words, mind-reading. You get *really*
upset when folks do that to you, but you have no
problem doing it to others.

> It seems to have worked on you among many others. That
> old Chopra is so full of common sense wisdom how could
> we doubt his claim that his mind is working on the
> "quantum mechanical" level!

We can certainly doubt it, but it's probably not real
smart to rule it out.

> I point my finger at him as a charlatan because I paid
> $700 in his doctor's office to get the magic word
> "amrita" to repeat to cure physical conditions.  Medical
> conditions.  Health related issues that he discussed
> with me in his doctor's office before "prescribing" me a
> magical word to repeat to cure medical physical, health
> conditions.
>
> So when I view him as a con man it is after having him
> con out of actual money me a long time ago.

Charlatan, maybe, in the sense of being deluded about
the validity of his claims. But not a con man.