snip

> > > Here you are huffing and puffing, and he's chortling.
> >
> > My opinions are "huffing and puffing?"  What an odd
> > characterization.
>
> Oh, I don't think so.
>
> > Is that what you are doing here by communicating your
> > opinions, huffing and puffing?
>
> Sometimes I huff and puff, sure.
>
> > Or were you trying to characterize opinions this way
> > to diminish them?
>
> Just pointing out the contrast. He made a joke, and
> you're having a tizzy *because he made a joke*.

I used it as a platform to express my views.  The term "tizzy" is another
mischaractorization mean to diminish my post.  The intent of my post seems to
have been missed by you but concerns a technique of cold readers to make their
other outrageously unsupported statements seem more plausible. I find those
techniques fascinating as I do your inability to even get the point.  It worked
on you.

> > > It would be hubris if he believed he could cause an
> > > earthquake with his meditation.
> >
> > You are welcome to your opinion.  I think people believing
> > their meditation causes world peace also qualifies.
>
> Yeah, seems to me there's a pretty gigantic difference
> between somebody thinking their meditation causes
> earthquakes and thinking a lot of people meditating
> together might facilitate world peace.

Not at all.  None in fact.  A whole group of people with no effect is no more
anything than one person with no effect.  This is a common mental fallacy that
draws on our natural tendency to believe that more of something will produce a
bigger effect.  The problem here is that there is no proven mechanism that is
being multiplied, it was just asserted by an authority figure.  One whom you
claim you do not take at face value, and yet here you have.  You have fallen
for his routine as effectively as any Purusha.

More of nothing is still nothing.  You might want to write that down.

> > > But he doesn't believe that, you see. Hhe has some
> > > common sense about the limits of his personal power.
> >
> > Pretty low bar. Some limits.  Amazing, I'm so proud of him.
>
> Those were your words, toots.

> > > BREAKING NEWS: You don't have to share a person's beliefs
> > > to defend them from unfair attack.
> >
> > BREAKING NEWS:  I know that.  But you aren't defending
> > any "unfair" attack here you and we both know it.
>
> If I hadn't thought it was unfair, I wouldn't have
> spoken up. And if you'd known that one doesn't have to
> share a person's beliefs to defend them from unfair
> attack, you wouldn't have suggested I was defending
> him because I thought he could cause an earthquake
> with his meditation.

This twist wont work.  I never asked you if you believed he could cause an
earthquake with his mind and you know it.  I was asking yo to clarify your own
position on his teaching about the influence of our minds on the world and you
dodged it. But you answered that you wouldn't rule it out (it wouldn't be
smart) showing me that you did actually understand the question even though you
are mischaractorizing it now to make it seem as if I was suggesting that I
thought you believed in his ability to cause earhquakes which I have never done.

It is your straw man, your pretending I don't understand his joke.  But is is s
silly ruse because my understanding it lies at the basis of my point.  One you
have either missed or are pretending to miss.

> > > That said, I don't know whether one's state of mind can
> > > affect "the world" (depending on what you mean by "world"),
> > > and *neither do you*.
> >
> > Yeah well I'll give it a very low probability OK?  We
> > know quite a bit about how powerful thoughts are on the
> > outside of our skulls because we can measure the
> > electrical energy of our brains.
>
> Low probability is fine, but I wouldn't make up
> idiotic reasons for it.
>
> > BREAKING NEWS: It doesn't go into the environment.
>
> We don't know that.

We do know that it has no measurable effect on the environment.  You are buying
into woo woo speculation and I am not.  And framing my stating the current
level of measurement of our personal effect on the environment as idiotic is
just your unpleasant habit rearing its ugly head again.

You think you have special knowledge because you have read a bunch of analogies
in Ken Wilbur books.  I do not share that delusion that I know what quantum
mechanics is really saying and how it might apply to the physical world because
I can follow a description of Schrodinger's Cat outside its proper mathematical
context.

So far we have no proof that we effect the whole world by the state of our
mind.  Maharishi and Chopra assert it, I deny it as being a reasonable
conclusion from what we know about how things work.  And quantum mechanics has
added nothing to this discussion on a macro level.

> > So unless you are proposing that the mechanism of what
> > affects the world is some new thing
>
> If it affects the world, *of course* it's some new thing.

You and Chopra, masters of the innuendo.  So what might that be?  Maharishi
thinks it is the impersonal aspect of God.

> <snip>
> > > But like Chopra, I don't believe one person's meditation
> > > can bring about an earthquake.
> >
> > Straw man and you know it.
>
> Funny, it's the same straw man you were using.

You have missed my point of know that this is not how I was using it.  Chopra
does believe in his personal effect on the world.  He joked about him not
causing an earthquake so we would think he was not a complete nutter.  You fell
for it.

> > But how about a whole bunch of people?  Maharishi believes
> > that groups of humans do cause these events.  Chopra has
> > said the same thing.
>
> He probably does believe that. (I'm agnostic.) But that's
> a whole different order of belief than that a single
> person can cause earthquakes.

Your hyper-focus on something that was not going to work is not going to work
Judy.

> > > And I don't think you should be making accusations when
> > > you can't tell the difference between what he believes
> > > and what he doesn't believe.
> >
> > My whole post started with this distinction.
>
> No, your post started--and has continued--by *conflating*
> the two.

Not true.  I showed how he was using an obviously absurd belief to make his
other beliefs look more plausible.  And you fell for it stating that a whole
bunch of people with no effect is completely different than one person with no
effect.  You are demonstrating my point about his technique perfectly.  You say
you are agnostic but you have already bought in to the biggest bogus jump, the
fallacy that a lot of people will have a bigger effect of nothing than one
person.

> > You are trying to create your own straw man out of the
> > earthquake thing and missing my whole point intentionally
> > or unintentionally.
>
> I'm *criticizing* your point.

> > > He doesn't actually believe his meditation caused the
> > > earthquake. That's why his tweets were funny.
> >
> > I started with this distinction why do you think this
> > is news? It is a straw man that is being used to make him
> > look less fringy.
>
> This is the point I've been criticizing.

> > > You were asserting that this is what he was doing. You
> > > were, in other words, mind-reading. You get *really*
> > > upset when folks do that to you, but you have no
> > > problem doing it to others.
> >
> > Not at all
>
> You freak out, Curtis.

> > but you are getting a bit desperate here. It is my
> > opinion about how he is using a straw man that is not
> > dependent on his intentions.
>
> You were using intentional language. If you now want to
> back off on that, fine.
>
> <snip>
> > > We can certainly doubt it, but it's probably not real
> > > smart to rule it out.
> >
> > "Ruling things out" doesn't have much of a use in my
> > world of beliefs but assigning low or high probability
> > does.
>
> No problem with low probability. But you don't use that
> language unless you get called on not using it.

It is a silly desperate distinction. We have no thoery, no mechanism to support
the claim.  The probability is practically zero.

> > > Charlatan, maybe, in the sense of being deluded about
> > > the validity of his claims. But not a con man.
> >
> > Then you would have to be able to read his mind wouldn't
> > you?
>
> Very low probability. Vanishingly low probability.
>
> > Having seen his actions with JAMA I have a very good idea
> > which it is.
>
> Oh, please. What happened with JAMA is not at all clear.

It was to me.  Plus I have the added information about his duplicitous
statements about his first book which was written by Purusha.  He worked their
PR machine like a rented mule and then skipped off when his career took off
using reworked Maharishi terms like "field of possibilities" instead of "field
of all possibilities."

He is a slippery con who can't hold his own in debates with people wise to his
moves.  One of his moves is to use statements like "my meditation caused an
earthquake" to mask his actual belief that lots of people with no measurable
effect on the environment is of of a completely different class of belief than
his earthquake joke.

It is a confusion you share.