--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Continuing on this woo woo ray tangent (I am generally quite rational and
> skeptical), in these universal love states i can sense the personality of
> trees and plants. Quite distinct entities. And my love for them seems felt --
> and they seem responsive. (to be more specific, its like a lake of universal
> love, undirected, that is then directed at them. There is a focus on them. An
> adorational devotion kind of focus. But its not at all like the charismatic
> beaming discussed in my comments tot the Turquoise post.) Like they would
> protect me in their "enchanted forest". (I know, lock me up, we can't have
> people walking the streets thinking they can talk to trees).

I believe these mental states do have a value (even if it is just for
entertainment) but that value is not in the content of the beliefs that are
spontaneously generated such as, trees are reflecting my love.  Taking their
content seriously is the mistake the ancients made.

We don't have to take the content of these states of awareness literally and
seriously (trees actually do love us) to enjoy the state of union through love
or your being or whatever else you want to call it.  In fact trying to draw
literal conclusions diminishes the potential value for our creativity and
artistic expression from having these experiences.

If you talk to a tree you are a poet, if it talks back you are a nutter in
society!  But being able to drift into the states of mind where you can have
conversations with trees is a wonderful tool for creativity that gets squashed
when someone claims that this experience is evidence for the highly developed
sentient nature of trees.

We can and should visit the holy tree in the Avatar movie but we shouldn't
forget that it is a movie and once the 3-D glasses come off, what we have
gained is not definite ontological information about how the world really is.
We have gained a shift of perspective that we can then use to spark actual
tests on the world if we are scientists or expressions of art if we are an
artist.

I am an advocate of people having more of this type of experiences through many
different means including psychedelics and meditation but hope we can not make
the mistake our religiously minded and bound ancestors did concerning what they
mean.  We need to approach that with the starting point that we do no already
know what they mean.  But to assume that they serve as a self-evident source of
knowledge about the world is the lamest choice of all.  It discards a whole
body of knowledge and perspective that has served us well in building human
knowledge to this point.  Artistically and creatively inspired altered states
of mind have a place.  But they aren't remotely close to being the source of
man's deepest knowledge yet.  Historically they have led us astray as much as
they have inspired us.