--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> tartbrain wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:

> >> Americans being to
> >> passive and apathetic, sitting in front of their TVs watching American
> >> Idol
> >>

> > I joked with someone during the early years -- maybe season two -- when she
> > said "I just love American Idol -- because .. um,becasue .." and I finished
> > hr sentence "you are shallow?". We both laughed.
> >
> > I used to think it must be a pure fluff show -- though I had never really
> > watched much of it. (why should that stop me from opining on it!)
> >
> > But I have become a modest, somewhat infrequent fan.
> >
> > Just curious but have you / do you ever watched American Idol? More than
> > once or twice? While way too many commercials, way too much drivel talk, If
> > you record it and fast forward through that, and key in on 4-5 top
> > contestants, I find it a real eye-opener that -- everyday people -- are so
> > vastly talented -- often at a very young age. Some performances exceed
> > other music that I have access to.
> >
> > I may be particularly musically challenged, but I also find the critiques,
> > while sometimes trivial and insipid, can be insightful, and help me
> > articulate why I liked a piece or not. Often I am nodding or shaking my
> > head at the performance -- but unable to fully identify the elements that
> > made me like or yawn at the performance.
>
> It's a talent show!

Just curious, why is that a bad thing? And isn't it obvious its a talent show?
unknown amateurs get a chance to perform before an audience. Always has been a
talent show.

Do you have negative feelings about midnight at comedy clubs? Wednesday wet
t-shirt contests? karaoake?

its not all high class professional talent. Neither is a lot of high-priced,
highly hyped, professional music.

Those have been on for years.  Remember "Amateur
> Hour"?

The one with the gong?

There have been bad talent shows in the past. And some good ones.

   This is one on steroids and hyped like crazy.  Of course my
> view may be somewhat jaded being  professional musician.  ;-)

i respect your musical knowledge and background. like I said, I may be
musically challenged.  What is of value to me may not be of value to you.

But from your lack of response to the actual question, I am assuming, no, you
really haven't watch much of it.

Otherwise, I would love to hear your professional opinion of -- across several
years: Crystal, Jesse, Adam, Allison, Carrie, Jeniffer, Daughtry?

If you are asking your self "WTF, Who???" my point is sort of confirmed.